Putting a south of the Boarder twist on a big Hog !

OPAH

Reaction score
Yes in diddy do, they all were right, this wild Boar tastes nothing Like our store bought Pork.<br>
Had the Family and some friends over yesterday and they all love the Boar even my 83 year old mother tore into it.<br>
I decide to get it a go with to of my favor pork meals, Cranitas and Pazoplie, Some I pulled 15 lbs of roast out of the freezer, thawed and into the pressure cooker with some down Homw mexico seasonings for a couple hours.<br>
From there it was seperated 2/3 for Carnitas and 1/3 for the Boarzolie, the Cranitas meat put aside to rest and the Boarzolie meat got shreaded and all that wonderfull juice was poured into a huge pot a Big can Of Hominey added, a diced Onion, but the center ring cut left whole and here is where I broke from My traditional recipice only for convieance sake, i put in a large can of red chilli and Enchilada sauce and a regular can of Rotilla chilli mix and set to simmer.<br>
Company now on their way I preheat the Lard ( yes Lard ) in the deep fryer and place the pressure cooked Boar m<br>
Large chunks into the Baskit and deep fryed it for only a couple minutes in the super hot oil (lard) Just enough to heat and crisp the outside of the meat.<br>
Served:<br>
Boarzolie, with Diced onion, cilontro and Thinly shreaded Cabage.<br>
Carnitas, Fresh fired tortillias, diced onion, fresh made green chilli shreaded white cheese, cilontro, Cabage.<br>
<br>
Damn it was good, Grandkids, to my 84 year old mother all loved it and as said it tasted nothing like store bought pork ! it was soo much better more like beef than pork as we know it.<br>
Second go round this Thursday for some close friends at work I LOOK OUT ! GOOD GOOD stuff

Last edited:

OPAH

Reaction score
Making another Batch of Carnitas and Boarzoli, pictures to come.
MAN i can not say enough on how different Wild is from Domistic pork.
We have discussed that the taste of Bear Good Or bad id highly dependant on what it eats,
Think that is what is happening hear ? Acorn and Tuber fed, all natural no Hormones Verses
Manipulated Grain, meal and steriod / hormone fed ?
Or is it all the salt curing and precooking and resalting preperation ?
The difference is night and day thyb taste nothing alike NOTHING !

WHY ?

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
First I am going to say it was the way you took care of the meat after you harvested it.
Second what the hog was eating as well as it's overall health.
I have had lots of buddies tell me a boar over 200 pounds taste horrible. We have never had a bad one yet. My sample size isn't huge (maybe 10 over 200 pounds in our family) but we do try to take care of the meat and I think it makes a huge difference. Heck on most of my hogs I would just do real simple pork roasts and eat sandwiches for a week on the leftovers. I did do other dishes but those pork roasts were hard to beat and easy.

OPAH

Reaction score
I did what I do with Bear and Dear, Skin, Gut, Qarter and Pack out on ice. A great thing about the Ranch is you can get the Ranger quad back to almost anywhere to pick up or in some cases bragged the hog back to the main house, There we can Hang, clean and process the Hog straight into Ice chests.
Home it gets beboned, wrapped in cheese cloth and Back into the Ice chest for another couple weeks. Then it is Vacuum sealed and in the freezer waiting to be eatten. Good stuff, Very good stuff

Top Bottom