Pyramid Lake, NV

hunter mike

Reaction score
I have been to Pyramid Lake twice  (haven't fished it yet) and was wondering if anyone has fished there.  It is quite a beautiful lake to visit for those who haven't been there.  The services are primitive.  It is a good place to take a day trip to if you aren't doing so well in Reno.  It is a 35 mile trip but worth it.  Last time I was there I checked and it is a $6.00 per day tribal fee to fish there.  I doubt there is good fishing from the bank but would like to know if anyone has had success.  

hronk

Reaction score
The Lake is closed from July 1st thru, I believe Sept.  It is a great Trophy lake for CutThroat.  The best months are Feb thru about April.  There is a Slot-limit where you can keep 2 fish under 18"    -0- between 18 and 24" Or 1 over 24"  From Oct thru Jan. most of the better fishing is done trolling and after that fly fishing from shore has always been popular.  The biggest friends of mine have gotten is 31" long (10to 12 lbs) but there are a couple between 15 and 20 lbs taken each year.  You can throw heavy spoons from shore (Torpedos, Daredevels) trol Rapalas and Quickfish,  Or fly cast Woolyworms from the beaches......hronk

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
It's been a couple years since I fished there, but it was very good fishing.  As my dad used to live in Reno, we'd go up there pretty regularly during the winter months.  Hronk is correct, the fishing is best from about beginning of February through April.  It's an artificial bait lake (no worms, power bait, etc.).  We always did really well trolling Blue Fox spinners, usually in silver or gold.  Downriggers were the key after finding the fish on the fishfinder.  Could probably use leadcore with similar results.  I've seen guys take ladders down into the water from shore, stand on them, and then fly fish with reasonable results.  I always wondered how they'd keep their balance when they connected with a lunker.  You can also use a good cast rod and bomb some lures from the shore.  

I personally think that the Donner & Tahoe are much prettier, but if Pyramid does it for you, have at it.

Good fishing,
Paul

hunter mike

Reaction score
Paul,

As for pure beauty I'd say Tahoe is prettier.  Pyramid Lake's huge size and the way it contrasts the desert which surrounds it is something that I have not experienced anywhere else.  Thanks for the fishing tips.

Mike

Latest Posts

Top Bottom