Quads

Brnsvllyjohn

Last year while archery hunting I was riding my Honda Rancher every day a few miles then getting off and hiking a couple miles to get to where I needed to be. The country is really rocky and riding the quad was killing my back and shoulders. The roads are actually legal for jeep travel but I wouldn't take my truck on them. Talking to others and reading a lot it appeared that the Polaris has the best riding quad on the market. My pickup is an F150 so a UTV was going to be too heavy. I bought the last 2016 that was on the way to the local dealer but it didn't get here in time for my last few days of archery season. It did get here in time to go to Idaho. Way too fast and it is only a 570 Sportsman Touring model which means I can legally carry a passenger in California. Although I rode it a fair amount in Idaho the roads weren't really that rough. Friday when I rode for a few hours in some really rocky areas it is obvious that the ride is way better. The guy with me said he was really getting beat up and wondered how I was doing. We traded quads for about 2 miles and he then said it wasn't fair. My Polaris was like a luxury auto compared to his Artic Cat. I think it will work out in the long run as far as the ride quality goes but there are lots of features I prefer on the Honda but not sure I can ride the Honda for long periods in the rocks anymore. Power steering is huge for old guys with bad shoulders. If and when I go to a 3/4 ton pickup I might go to a side by side but who knows I might just keep the Polaris 570 2 up.

sean english

I want to know more about Polaris and other kinds of quads as I am looking at some. I have never been on one. Is Polaris really so much better than the Arctic Cat? in what way? can you post pictures? Arctic Cat doesnt have power steering?

Brnsvllyjohn

I just answered you an the other thread but for me now power steering is a must have in rough country. I still ride the Honda a little but not on long rides or multiple day hunts. It depends on your back and shoulders and how much abuse you can take. Until a couple of years ago I would never have thought about giving up the Honda. I rode an older Artic Cat a few weeks ago but I have not been on a newer one. A newer Artic Cat might be fine but I don't know. I think the Cat has a V belt and I hate that. I prefer to select a gear and hold it. I don't like the quad dictating the gear ratio. Low is too low and high is WAY too high. Standard transmission doesn't give you those problems. I guess the beach runners love just picking high range and going 50 miles per hour . That is not the way I ride I tell the salesman I ride more like a guy on a tractor slow and deliberate. It is a working machine for me not a play toy. The problem with the electric power steering is it is really hard on batteries and it might not start in the cold. I carry a jump start box at all times. No pull start option on the newer machines and you cannot push start a V belt system.

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Sean what are going to use it for? A guy riding in a rec area is way different than a guy riding on something like the Rubicon trail. Hauling decoys to your duck blind is something that a lot of guys do. Do you intend to carry a second person? My needs may be way different than yours. A local dealer to support the product is important.

Where I hunt in Idaho the area is dominated by Polaris and Honda. I am not totally comfortable with the Polaris yet and when I have the opportunity to talk to other Polaris owners I ask questions. They all say I am too concerned about some of the issues on the Polaris that bug me. They all love the Polaris. A few however kept their Hondas just like I did because they agree the Honda always starts. That is important to me. On my last day trip the Polaris started making a noise that sounded like water vapor escaping out a radiator cap. It wasn't hot and the radiator cap wasn't blowing off steam. It stopped after I turned it off and then started it. Still no idea. When I was shopping no one will let you test drive anything. Buying a quad is like buying a new boat even if they let you run it it will be under very controlled conditions so you will not know how it will perform once you put it to a test. I actually had a couple of guys on Craigslist selling 1 year old Polaris machines refuse to let the quad off their driveway for fear I would get it dirty and they would have to detail it again. I wouldn't buy without a decent test run so I didn't buy used. At least buying new I had dealer support

imperial valley hunter

I purchased a new 2016 Honda Rancher 420 last year, I've only put about 12 hrs on it so far. It has power steering, independent rear suspension and I felt like I was riding like a king. Very comfortable seat to cruise the desert over in my desert zone. Can't wait to get out again this year. I can now ride away from the road hunters and look for the ghost in the hills.

Brnsvllyjohn

I looked hard at that Honda but decided that carrying an extra person was really important to me now. My grandsons will start hunting soon and my wife hunts with me so carrying two becomes important. Honda doesn't make an inline 2 up and that small side by side is too heavy for me to carry in my F150. Planning on going to a larger truck in a year or so and I might get that Honda side by side when I do. We shall see. The unfortunate thing is I won't really know how it rides until I take it into the mountains and by then I will own it. I have to stay with a narrow machine to be legal for game retrieval on the quad roads in Idaho. The Polaris might be my best choice for that, just not convinced yet.

OPAH

I would love to be able to use a quad, but out here SCAL they are closing everything for ever thing. can't hike, bike, seem all are going.
Last I heard Lupine road is permanently closed now? what do we do when the whole forest is closed ?

imperial valley hunter

What are you guys using to hold your bow/rifles? Last year I only did archery and I mounted my hard case onto the front rack. I am wondering if I should do that with my rifle or buy them Kolpin Rhino Grip mounts. I am worried about scope zero messing up with bumps.

Brnsvllyjohn

I carry my rifle in a hard Kolpin case with the top on all of the time and so far I have never had the scope change zero. I carry the crossbow in a soft case on either the front rack or back rack depending on how the quad is loaded with other gear. The gun is easy the crossbow is a little bit of a PITA. I have a set of buck horn style mounts on the front of the Honda but don't use them. The gun is too exposed in my opinion like that. Don't think I will add the buckhorn type to the Polaris, no real point. I carry a lot of gear on the quad so space is an issue. I prefer large water proof soft bags over the rigid plastic ones for the extra gear. I carry rain gear, food and water, tow straps, ropes, battery jump box, water purification system, tarp for emergency shelter, backpack, flat repair kit, a second helmet, and on and on.

imperial valley hunter

thanks... I will look into the kolpin case. yes, I also have a bunch of gear on the rear rack storage bag I carry around. Only think I need is an extra battery.

Top Bottom