Quail and Dove

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
Spent another day fishing the East Highline Canal. Saw two nice coveys of quail, and once again plenty of Doves and no Mosquitoes.
I did see a few dead birds, though. A few Dove, a Nighthawk, a Great Blue Herron. and an Egret.
Caught and released 29 eager young Bass.
One of the Coveys was actually on a Game Bird Heritage Plot!

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Good report, that's great that the plots are holding birds. Are the bass edible?
Soon as the quail are flushed they cross the canal and hide in the desert, least that's what happened with me last year when I got on some along the canal!
Sure hope everyone leaves some dove for Friday morning, I can't make Wednesday's opener, first one in quite a while!

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
Originally posted by BigDaddyB@Jul 28 2004, 07:22 PM
Are the bass edible?
I only caught one legal fish. I never keep Bass anymore anyway. There are some really nice fish in there, but I was having so much fun catching the little ones on top water lures, I wasn't really fising where the bigger ones hang out.

ESSposse

Banned
Reaction score
Salton.....
Dead birds????? From what do you suppose???
Are you over-head casting again out there?????

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
Originally posted by ESSposse@Jul 29 2004, 08:14 AM
Salton.....
Dead birds????? From what do you suppose???
Are you over-head casting again out there?????
No, the heat seems to slow them down, so they cannot dodge the truck!
Actually, I was hoping it is not a sign of the West Nile Curse! If there is an outbreak there in the next week or so, remember you heard it here first!
Seriously, I have never before seen a dead nighthawk or Great Blue Heron, and seldom have seen a dead Egret. To see the three all in one day is intriguing. I do hope it is not the virus.
I have snagged a few things with my errant casts over the years, including a fur coat firmlyattatched to a lady!

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I remember seeing a picture of guy testing a mourning dove for WNV. Does anybody know if eating dove with WNV is bad? I guess you'd have to cook them all the way.

Top Bottom