Quail, Chukar, Ducks and Chukar

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Headed out last weds morn in search of mt. quail off of 138 and allthough we saw lots of signs we didn't see any birds, from there we headed to Frazier Pk still in search of quail, this was a waste of time, the hi lite was seeing a snow goose on Quail Lake, from there we headed east on 138 looking for anything, we ran into a litttle bunch of quail in the foothills north of 138.  It was about 20 birds, we ended up getting 5 of them, very poor shooting on my part.  

Thurs morning we headed up to Randsburg for another crack at the chukar, we saw nothing until 10:00 am, we spotted 15 or so birds and we bailed out on them ASAP.  As we were in hot pursuit I spotted another group of a dozen or so I headed out after them.  After 30 mins I lose them, so I went back over my tracks and jump a pair right in my face, I drop one of the two and as I reload another pair jump 10 yds away, I drop one.  So I go to pick up the birds and only find one after a long search, poor shooting once again.  I head around the hill looking for the two singles and jump them both once again right in my face, I drop one.  Total bag was two birds out of 20 to 30 birds.  We head out again after a gallon of Gatorade and find the motherlode, easily 50 plus birds and thats as close as we got to them, we never saw them again or another bird on thurs.  

Thurs night we head toward the Owens River for some duck hunting on some info that I got, the only ducks we saw were in a park in Bishop, so we blow out of there and back to Randsburg in search of those 50 plus birds and never found them.  

1100 miles and just enough birds for a nice meal, oh well it was still a great time.

songdog

Reaction score
1100 miles... you are committed, my friend, no question about that.

I hear there's supposed to be some chance of rain tomorrow up here in SCV.  Any idea what that might do to the birds out by Randsburg?  Doesn't look like it should be enough to fill up any guzzlers... just keep the dust down.

d trees

Reaction score
hey kid went up to hunt ducks out side bishop last year on the opener only to find that the marsh's were dry and ended up at crowley for a couple mallards and a wigeon anywyas, very tired and dirty we checked in the hotel in bishop and around 3:30 I thought I was dreaming and I kept hearing mallards come to find out we were right next to that park. very cruel it was like they were taunting us . d  

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
d trees,
Same thing happened to me. We stayed at the Elms
Motel in Bishop. I got up in the morning and scared them off the that city park pond and then hauled butt to Buckley ponds hopin for a shot.
sp

WingSetter

Reaction score
Went with Kid on that trip. Talk about a waste of time and gas.  Stood at Motel 6 in Bishop.  Not a bad Hotel.  The only ducks we saw up there were the ducks on the park stream. There was a lot of land around there that looked real Quail'y but only seen Quail tracks, and chased about 8 birds that flew across the road.  On the flip side bring your trout gear as we seen an awful lot of 12-17 inch trout in the rivers.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I realy hate to give up a great spot but I like you guys so here it is ... Go just south of Bishop to Warm springs road and you can get some of the best Brown trout fishing (in the canals) and in that area is some of the best quail hunting i've had in Bishop.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Can I suggest the "Trees Motel" in Bishop for your next stay?  It is off the main stretch and you can head out of town in either direction without the traffic.  It is a nice, clean, motel and the prices are great in winter.  The Youngs run it and they are good people.

I have no stake in this motel, we have been staying there for many years.

See ya,

Eric

D Sea

Reaction score
Wingman,

I have to agree with fishing the canals.  The largest brown trout I ever caught was caught in one just North of Collins Road.  I've never hunted that area though, I may have to give it a try.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Eric Mayer,
I stay at the Trees (on line street) often. Ask Mr. young about the guy with the lab who is smarter than the owner (he would be referring to me). We usually stay in the 3 bed unit and as you say, Mr. Young is good people! We were just there Oct. 13th Tell him Steve said hey.
sp

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Kid Creole saounds like you had a great time, 10 miles or 1100 miles, as long as you had fun. Maybe you wont have to go that far next time LOL, I wish I had that much time:sunglasses-yellow:

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
thonz,

My 1987 F-250 has 290,000 miles on it, if they're flying I'm driving!

Top Bottom