Quail/Chukar in Orange County

uplandhunter

Reaction score
Can someone please let me know if there are any productive areas to go within short distance (1/2 hr to 1 1/2 hrs) of Orange County for quail and chukar hunting. I have had to drive hours in the past and am trying to find places to go closer to home. Any help will be appreciated.

Fubar

Reaction score
Uplandhunter  Welcome to Jesses Forum. The areas around Orange county are not very productive for quail and you have to drive out to Ridgecrest or beyond to find any good numbers of Chukar. There are some quail in the Cleveland National Forest near you but it is very steep and there is thick brush. The hunting is very tough there. If you are serious about birds you are going to have to drive a little farther from home. Check out Jesses hunting page. There are contacts for National Forest offices you can call. Also you can contact DFG biologists for information. There are a number of posts in here too with good info.                        Fubar

uplandhunter

Reaction score
Thanks, Fubar. I have contacted the forestry service and am waiting for my map to arrive. I have also contacted the dfg biologists who told me to contact the forestry service. I will keep watching the forum for any other posts also. Thanks again.

tinner

Reaction score
depending on how far south you are in oc there are alot of good areas within 1 1/2 hours i have see birds in areas around the 15 and 138 check the threads and with any luck you might just meet someone from the board

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I'll be going out to the Ord Mtns (Barstow/Daggett) this weekend for chukar and quail.  It's about a 2 hour drive from where I live in C-Mesa.

Fubar is right, the CNF Trabuco District is nasty.  I work close to it in Foothill Ranch, but can't find anything that's worth the hike.  I think that Maple Springs Rd in Silverado Canyon is now open to vehicular traffic, so that will give you some more access, but it's not easy hunting.

An option I've looked into is the Coal Canyon Ecological Reserve next to the Coal Canyon exit off the 91.  I've been in contact with the people in charge at the DFG, but they are new and didn't know much about it at the time.  From my limited knowledge, it's open to shotgun and archery hunting only, but the tricky thing is access.  It's connected to the 91 by a park (I think it's a state park?)  There is a locked gate - the key is obtainable from the Riverside Dept of Transportation for a $100 deposit, but I'm not sure if you can transport a gun (unloaded or loaded) through the park.

I will try to get in contact with the DFG.  The guy in charge is at the Upper Newport Bay Reserve.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Fullsack,
What part of the Ord Mountains will you be hunting. I have to be in La Quinta Saturday afternoon/evening and was looking for a place to hunt this Saturday morning.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure, I know we come in from Daggett, along Camp Rock Rd.  Last time I was there it was completely dark.  There are several good areas in the Ord Mtn region.  My DeLorme map shows several springs in the area - we'll be at one of them.

Top Bottom