quail/grouse chasers ?

2curljohnny

Reaction score
i'll be after em this weekend.those last two fires around weaverville/hayfork are getting awful close to my hunting grounds.anybody looking for a ride let me know. good luck

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I will be south of you.  Should be fun as I am taking a rookie along with me.  I will let him shoot the grouse though, I have grown bored of them, it is the mountain quail that I am after.  Good luck and let us know how you do.

Brian

Kentuck

Reaction score
I'll be heading up to Alpine county. Looking forward to getting some of those great eating birds.

hunter mike

Reaction score
I have got to wait till next weekend but will be heading up to lassen or modoc county for some grouse and quail if I see them.  I'll be hunting X4 in October so I will combine that with a little scouting.

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
I have looked for grouse, but have not yet got one. I hunt in el dorado national forest anyone know a good spot?.

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
I tried the quail and grouse for the first time on 9/9.  Those little guys are tough.  My son and I found two coveys in the El Dorado Nat. Forest but did not get a shot off.  

How do you hunt these guys.  The brush is so thick.  I found one covey by a stream and another had to be 1/2 mile from water.  Is there anything that is a constant for quail.  

Next, where do you find Blue Grouse?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Mountain quail are extremely tough because they prefer to run than fly adn use the thick underbrush to their advantage.  With experience you will learn to work around and get ahead of them and still will not get great shots.
 Look for Grouse around clear cuts that have old growth nearby.  Also around mid morning look where there are springs and willow bushes are thick and you will find grouse.  I hunt between 5-6 thousand feet.  Good luck the season is only one month.

Brian

Top Bottom