quail hunting in san bernardino mtns

EVAN III

Reaction score
Lots of big mountain quail in San Bernadino. What part of San Bernadino are you looking

EVAN III

Reaction score
Bassmaster Try down around the Silverwood lake area and around Cleghorn canyon off the 15 fwy. I have had some luck in those areas,  but some years are pretty dry. This year is looking good so far, I have'nt been out yet due to deer season, but I hope to get out soon. As for the Big Bear area I have'nt done much Quail hunting in that area. Any how, good luck, There out there.

Happy Hunting

Sidekick

Reaction score
My best advise is get out there and cover alot of ground. Quail migrate thoughout the season from higher to lower elevations in the San Bernardino mountains. Good luck !

rusman66

Reaction score
It seems to me that I have heard and seen more quail while sitting quietly waiting for deer than I ever have going through the brush trying to scare them up.  Add a call, some carrots and potatoes and you have dinner.
Just an observation.

(Edited by rusman66 at 6:54 am on Nov. 11, 2001)

T F Coyote

Reaction score
The San Bernardinos are my main stomping ground.  This seems to be a great quail season (or what's left of it).  

I made a deer/quail combo trip during the second weekend of deer season, which is the quail opener.  My brother-in-law and I hunted the valley south of Big Bear, near the Santa Ana River.  No deer, as usual, but there were quail everywhere.

We each took three mountain quail.  Not bad, considering we don't have a dog.

Speaking of which, if anyone has a good bird dog and is looking for a hunting partner, I will trade my vast knowledge of this area for the chance to hunt behind your dog.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
A buddy told me they got a limit of mountain quail near Seven Oaks last week. I'm happy with just 3 or 4 so a limit is doing pretty darn good for a day's hunt.

rlwright

Reaction score
Thats excellent for mtn. quail, the most I've got in a day is 4.

Top Bottom