Quail Hunting this Weekend

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone going quail hunting this weekend? Fullsack put the bug in my brain, so I think I'll be out in the Ord Mountain area east of Barstow. Last year I hunted dove at some of the springs in the area. Look for a red Nissan P/U with DSERT2C license plate or white Chevy 4x4 P/U with Knack toolbox.

songdog

Reaction score
I'm going to try and a few birds before cutting some firewood on Saturday afternoon.  I'll be in the Acton area though.  Good luck out at Ord Mtn.  I'v heard some reports of some chukar out there too.

Mojave

Reaction score
I'll be hunting private land in the desert, in between Karstic and Songdog. Fell two short of a limit last Sat, but I had a pretty bad cold, and ran out of energy hunting without my (lost) dog. There are loads of quail running around the desert this year - one more season of good rain, and they could explode like they did in the mid-eighties!

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome aboarb, Mojave. Is your ID an indicator of your location? Re you hunting in the foothills of the San Gabriels. Good Luck.

Mojave

Reaction score
Thanks, Karstic! I've enjoyed reading this forum from time-to-time, but haven't jumped in until now. I live and do most of my hunting out on the flats and buttes of the desert, itself. I will occasionally drive up to the El Pasos, or Sierra or San Gabrial foothills, but I hunt mostly quail and dove, and they are abundant within a mile or two of my property many years, so I usually stick close to home.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I'm taking my son (his first time) up to my spot for some Mountain Quail this evening near the back side of Silverwood lake.

We always see Valley Quail here but if you catch it just right the Mountain Quail are abundant. Last year I bagged quite a few. I used an 8 in one Wingsetter call to get that unique M-Quail sound.

While scouting the area this year I heard alot of them calling.  If we do well I'll post some pics.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Wingman,

I have been up to Silverwood lake a couple of times. I spoke to a ranger up there and he said that people go hunting around Miller Canyon. Have you ever heard of this place?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Qbn Hunter,

I think it's the same place. We called it Bear Valley because we ran into the biggest Black Bear I've ever seen (they look big when there pissed).

Its not easy to find. There is a stream running down the canyon (with fish) and real dense Scrub Oak and Manzanita up both sides. You have to go through hell to get to the M-Quail. The DFG Biologist who we met there said they stocked the stream and they released a pair of Golden Eagles (back in the late 80's).
The unique part of this canyon is that the valley is very wide, in some areas its well over 100 yards across. The Mountain Quail come down from the sides to drink a couple times a day. When I clean em, I find Pinion Pine seeds in there sacks.

I found this place through a friend who trapped Bob Cats. I went along when he checked his trap line and shot Mountain Quail.

E-mail me and I will give you directions and an arial map.

PS: My son and I went up yesterday and we shot 6 valley quail but no M-Quail. We could here them but its a little to rough for a kid to get to the good area.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Sunday hunt with son & dog= 1 Limit of valley Quail.
My son is 5 yrs old and uses a Red Rider BB gun so he doesn't count.  My Lab is a lousey shot so he doesn't count eather!

birddogman

Reaction score
I went out to Salton Sea this weekend to look for Karstic and New Guys spot, and got skunked. I ended up at Niland and saw a few birds, but didn't even get a shot off! Everything was posted out there!
Last weekend I went up to the invasion of Aghganistan at Red Mountain and had some hunters flush a covey in front of me and that was it for the day. I don't know who's more frustrated, me my dog, or my 12 year old boy. I also hit a guzzler up by Cleghorn Canyon, by Silverwood last weekend and didn't see or hear anything. How do you guys get to that Miller/Bear Canyon spot? Is it the Canyon on the right just before you get into the park? Help. Anybody got a spot and need help with a dog, I'm desperate.

uplandhunter

Reaction score
Was in the Ord Mountains on Saturday off Camp Rock Road. Made the mistake of taking everything but a map. I wasn't sure how to access any of the springs in the hills, so my dog and I walked a few miles without hearing or seeing anything. Please let me know if there are any ways to access these areas, or get close enough that I don't have to walk too far to find them. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

foulshot

Reaction score
uplandhunter, FullSack and I were out off CampRock road also.You go back about a mile or so off the exit and the road splits into a Y.  We went to the right, back in another mile or so.  Got a late start on Saturday.  Went to a cow drinker and saw lots of sign but no birds. Regrouped and headed up higher.  We could hear the birds in the distance up at the very peak of the area we worked.  About 3/4 of the way up I sat and listened.  A few clucks and I spotted a couple birds moving around, only problem they were on the next peak over.  So up I went and came down on top of them.  No dog by the way.  FullSack and another guy with us were coming up on that peak but I didn't know how far up they were.  As I came up on a rock outcrop the birds flushed.  There must have been 40-50 easy. I managed 1, another in the party was close enough to bag 1 also.  The rest of the day it was chasing birds from peak to peak.  We managed 2 more by the time we left at 10 am on Sunday.  We saw lots of birds!!! Chukar that is, no quail. Without a dog it was hard to hold them though.  Next time a buddy with a dog?

uplandhunter

Reaction score
Hey Foulshot,

Saw the Y but took the left fork. Thought I took the wrong one at the time, but already had committed far enough to not want to turn back. Next time will have to make the right turn. Want to go again soon. Email me at ppersiani@braxtonca.com if you want to get back out there. I'm going to Antelope Valley hunt club this Friday. Thought I'd try it and compare it to Raahaugee's and Four Winds. Have spots open for anyone available to go on Friday morning.

Top Bottom