Quail in N.E. Calif.

jerry d

Reaction score
Was up in N.E. Calif last week and the last couple mild winters/springs must have been good for Valley Quail.

Seemed like the little buzz bombs were in every brush pile and thick clump of bushes. Haven't seen this many in quite a few years. Sure sounded sweet to hear them calling from all directions around sunrise.

Most of the coveys I saw had at least 15 - 20 birds. I stood real still and a huge covey came within 10 yards of me to drink at the creek. Beautiful birds.

You quail hunters that chase um in that area should have a ball!!!

hunter mike

Reaction score
Jerry,

I am looking forward to the quail opener and will be hunting in NE CA.  I was wondering if you may share a little more detail as to where they are at.  This will be my first year quail hunting and a little edge wouldn't hurt.  Thanks!

jerry d

Reaction score
Mike,

I was up in the Burney and Cassel area (Burney Creek, Hat Creek, Fall River, Lake Britton areas) fishing the streams and heard or saw quail everywhere I went. Didn't venture back into the boonies so don't know how the population is there but I do know the Cassel area along Hat Creek is loaded.

If that's the general areas you'll be hunting, you might also try the Fountain Fire burn area on Hwy. 299 west of Burney (It's mostly timber company land that been replanted and I saw hunters in there last year) or any of the PG&E watershed around the area. PG&E has a large tract of watershed with dirt roads on Hat Creek west of the Hat Creek Park on Hwy. 299 east of Burney.

Last year we saw a lot of birds while fishing Hat Creek in the Doyles Corner, Hat Creek, Old Station area on Hwy. 89. If you hunt there be careful, a lot of that area is private property.

If you're unfamiliar with the area might benefit you to stop by Vaughns Sporting Goods in Burney and talk to Steve. I'm sure he will be glad to send you in the right direction. He's a nice guy and I've seen him help hunters but remember, if you're not from there, kinda walk in with your hat in your hand, if you know what I mean, and a map of the area would definitely be helpful.

During the week you could also stop by the PG&E office on Blackstone Road in Burney and possibly get some map info there.

Good luck and. where ever you go, let us know how you did..........

hunter mike

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry!  That was more info than I anticipated.  I am from Redding and hunt (deer) and fish up that way now and then.  I will be sure to let you know how I do.  I just wish I had more time to hunt;)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom