Quail in O.C.

JBarn3

Reaction score
First off, I am a new hunter, just got my license last week. My dad took me quail hunting up around Lake Isabella / Kern River. Had absolutely no luck. I want to go out again soon, but am looking for somewhere with less of a drive from Whittier. I have read that quail can be found in good numbers in the Santa Ana Mountains in Orange County. Anybody know of a good access point to these parts?

ocmike1

Reaction score
Well howdy.. I'm new to this site. I have only been hunting for a couple years and i know theres quail in silverado canyon and you can hunt there as far as i know. but the brush is head high and thick... In other words you get one shot maybe and you get to go home. I also know there are some quail down off of ortega highway in the national forrest. make sure you have your pass.. good luck and happy shooting.. Its been a tough upland-bird year for me.. I have been hunting ducks @ the river and its been o.k.

mjohns2

Reaction score
From what I understand you can hunt somewhere in San Diego and Los Angeles Crest mountains. Sorry i cant get more specific then that

JesterSoCalifa

Reaction score
Here is a spot thats not in OC but not to far either. Take the back road from Quail Valley into the eastern end of the Canyon Lake Backwaters area(15 fwy exit RailRoad Crossing in Lake Elsinore go east past the gates to Canyon Lake to the small city of Quail Valley, make a left at the circle K by the post office through the homes to the dirt road behind them). from there you need to drive to the northern side of the backwaters. Give them Quail a shout on your call and you'll be in them. There are maybe five covey's with 35-40 birds in them. They head towards the water in the late afternoon so there is no need for an early hunt and a 4+4 with a bit of ground clearance is almost a must. One last thing, if you jump these birds in mid-hill elevation you will be in for one helluva hike (wait till they come and water) and a good dog is worth his weight in gold here. Good luck and I'd like to hear how anyone does in this spot.

songdog

Reaction score
While there are a few spots in OC most of it is developed and pretty non huntable.   I grew up in Laguna Niguel and about 25 years ago they actually had quail right down on the bluffs where the Ritz Carlton is now.  Not a quail within 20 miles of there now.

If you go south to the Kitchen Creek area of the Clevland Nat'l Forest you should find a good number of birds.  You can also go on the south side of the 8 freeway right down along the border with Mexico and get a good hunt within sight of the border.

If you go north up to my neck of the woods, Santa Clarita, you should also find quite a few birds.  While there are a bunch up by the Kern River you shouldn't have to go nearly that far to hunt them.  I'm pretty fond of the Acton area for quail.  Head up into the Nat'l Forest out of Acton and you should find plenty.

Good luck!

Maverick

Reaction score
Jester, I have been to the back side of Canyon lake many times..It has been either very busy with dirt bike riders or with other hunters or both at the same time. I don't even waste my time with this area any more.

OC hunter

Reaction score
I could tell you where to go, but you would not be happy.  Long hikes, tall brush, one shot areas at best.  It is worth it to drive, maybe not as far as Lake Isabella.  There are lots of spots that are much closer, it just depends on what direction you want to go.  By the way, I called a covey of quail to within 15 feet of me in Morro Canyon off PCH between Newport Beach & Laguna Beach.  No hunting allowed of course!

JBarn3

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I tried a spot up near silverwood yesterday, but had no luck again. Talked to another hunter there that said sometimes there's 300 birds where I was trying, and somtimes there's none. Yesterday there happened to be none. He was just out training his puppy, but he hadn't seen a quail all day. I probably picked a bad time of the season to start out hunting, but I know there has to be birds somewhere. I just hope I can get some before I go back to school next week.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Jbarn3,

Sounds like you are on your way to becoming a quail addict just like most of us .

You WILL find the quail in and around the area of Silverwood and when you do it will all be worth it. The longer it takes to find your honey spot, the better you will feel when you find it.  Then you will be hooked for life.

Don't give up. You need to put in the time and patience! It's the best way to learn the hunt.

TIP:My most productive quail hunts in and around the Silverwood area (out of hundreds) were when I was alone.
sp

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom