Quail in Palm Springs

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I'll be in the Palm Springs/La Quinta area this weekend, can anyone guide me toward an area to hunt quail in that area. Thanks.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Go past Palm Springs to Salton Sea (North Shore) near HWY 86 & Sundance WF Club .  Follow the canal roads and you should see plenty. We bagged 3 limits in a couple hours (and two varmints)last week.
A good field dog is a BIG +.

I've read about the La Quinta area. It's supposed to be pretty good but I've never tried it. The article said you can find V Quail and Gambel Q. all in the same area?? Sounds like a story. I ONLY see Gambel's near there...
good luck
sp

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Wingman. What magazine did you get the article from? Is the area on the eastside of the sea. Thanks.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Karstic,
The artical was from Field and stream but it was years ago.

The place I hunted is not in La Quinta.  We go near Meca (on the North Shore) off the 86 and 110 juntion. I think the road we took to the canal was Lincoln. It's the road that fronts the two north shore  duck clubs (I think one of the clubs is called sundance or sundown?). follow the main irrigation canal (the canal that leads to the sea) on the left side. there is a field on the left which has a small canal to the left of it and huge trees. It usually takes me a couple of tries to find the area but it's worth it. Drive slow and look for tracks. We spotted quail running accross the road and let the dog do the rest. Without a dog, these tuff birds are hard to retreve.  good luck
sp

Top Bottom