Quail Opener

2curljohnny

Reaction score
seems like i covered 500 miles and ended up with 4 tassel heads and 2 grouse sat.(half of that drive was reaching the bar in cecilville:roll-wink-green hotter than heck and didn't see a deer.hunted the forks of salmon area, my normal quail route was scorched a few weeks ago,darn the luck.

Fubar

Reaction score
2curljohnny  Thats a tough break. The hunting should be improved there when everythin starts growing back.           Fubar

Whoadog

Reaction score
 We only seen one covey, got one shot, and killed one bird.  I usually move at leat 4-5 covies in a day.  It was really hot and not much water.  I did see quite a few healthy deer.

Brian

DanV

Reaction score
Tough hunt there Brian, heads up, have seen lots of quail in Paynes and vicinity. Think Lake Co. is in the early coastal season, so not long to go. If only the weather cools and the snakes would crawl back under their rocks for the winter.
  No hunting for me this weekend as I have been out looking for a car for the daughter, found her one today so maybe a deer hunt is on for tomorrow. A new plan, either the top of those canyons leading down to Buck Is. or  where I guess its the Fiske Cr. Lake road comes out on Blue Ridge. We'll see what happens, should  only be in the low 80's tomorrow, boy I hope so.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Hunted up in Alpine County and only found two small coveys. Did have to vacate one area due to the fact that my lab and I came across a badger. It didn't like it when my pup noticed it from about 20 feet. Needless to say, I got the pup and left.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Dan,
 Yeah I am not worried about finding valley quail, and have never had trouble finding mountain quail until this past weekend.  Good luck deer hunting, it should be getting better.

brian

Whoadog

Reaction score
 My partner and I moved eight covies this morning.  I killed eight and he killed six.  It was very tough shooting as they were in the thick brush, I shot 24 times.  The conditions were horrible for the dogs, it was hot!   One other hunter I talked to seen good numbers, how did everybody else do?

Brian

songdog

Reaction score
I only made it out for about an hour before the kids soccer games.  Managed four birds but there were plenty more to go around.

Ran into about three other trucks none of whom had that great luck as of that point in the day (8:30a).  

Whatever happened to that "Jesse's Hunting Page" window/bumper sticker idea?  I was wondering how many of the guys I run into are regulars here?  It's kind of hard to put the online and offline presence together sometimes ("I don't know, he looks like he might be a karstic... couldn't be a Fubar, I hear he has turkey feathers growing out of his head, way too polite for that E A guy...".  One more vote for the stickers...

MNHNTR

Reaction score
The hunt in the area I went to (little rock, Ca.) was almost absent of birds, unlike years past.  They acted as if they had been shot at the day before? I got three and my father in law got one.  That was it.  Oh wel,l going to check some more areas.  Of course this is always better than going to work !!

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
Whoadog, where did you hunt?  Sounds like an excellent area.  What were the conditions like?

Whoadog

Reaction score
Soccer Dad,
 I hunted Cache Creek.  The conditions were hot and extremely dry.

Brian

tinner

Reaction score
I hunted the area north and east of santa  clarita off aliso cyn. saw some other hunters who were having tough luck also maybe i saw songdog talked to a fella who had four birds

hronk

Reaction score
Seems to be quite a few birds(Quail) in my area but they already know the Wild Rose Bush trick.  I hunted about 2 1/2 hrs and got 6.  Been doing real good on the Nevada Chuckars.....hronk

Irish Lad

Reaction score
I didn't see or hear a bird in the Baldy Mesa(Cajon Pass) area on Sat.

songdog

Reaction score
tinner,

That was probably me with the four birds up off Aliso Cyn.  Red Bronco with white top?  I talked to a few different guys that day.  What were you driving?

Whoadog

Reaction score
Hronk,
 What county in NV are you hunting?  I am making my first trip for Chukars in Washoe Co. next month.

Brian

Hook

Reaction score
We hunter Drinkwater Flats area and not much birds to speak of. Saw a lot of other hunters but I did'nt hear much shooting. their were some birds in the Steep hillsides but couldnt get to them . No birds in the bag :( .

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Hook- What road did you take into Drinkwater? I tried to get in a couple of times last week from Bouquet, but it was closed because of hotspots. Were there many deer hunters up there. Thinking of making a run up there in the morning.     Scott

tinner

Reaction score
songdog, i was in a green f150. we were on a road used by trucks from some kind of mining operation road (4n433) i belive. i was the passanger and there was a dog kennel in the back. if it was you you said go past the stream. we did and saw nothing

(Edited by tinner at 4:21 pm on Oct. 21, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom