Bodie

Reaction score
Well, I just got home from my first hunt at Quailpoint Hunting Preserve.  I posted an e-mail awhile back inquiring about Quailpoint and several people responded back that it is a great place to go.  Whoadog especially, is always posting things about having great hunts out there.

Anyways, I bought a 3 pheasant day shoot.  They planted the birds in field 21 for me.  This was my first time to a private club, plus I have a new lab pup, so I was a little nervous out there.  Just didn't feel comfortable being in a new setting with a new dog.  So my dog gets the first bird up and I miss it.  I concentrated to hard on the bird and too little on my front bead.  After kicking myself several times I took some deep breaths to calm down.  Then my dog got the second bird up.  I was more relaxed now and I smoked it.  My dog did a perfect retrieve and delivered the bird to my hand.  Now my lab was jazzed and he wanted more.  We spent forever trying to find the third bird.  I was thinking about giving up, so I decided to rest for a few minutes and take some pictures of my dog.  As I am taking the first picture, my dog jumps the third bird.  I drop the camera and got one late shot off.  I was lucky that it was just enough to bring the bird down.  My dog fetched it up and brought it to me.

Next I headed back to the truck and ate some lunch.   I starting getting tired since I worked all night (I started work at 7:00pm and got off at 6:15am in Sacramento then drove home to Dixon, and then to Quailpoint).  It was getting close to the 10:30am free roam time so I started thinking about were I wanted to go.  That's when the three guys in the field across from me came back to the parking lot.  I starting talking to them to see how their hunt went.  They said that it did not go well, something was wrong with their Brittany and they had to stop early, plus they were older men and they said they were more worn out then the dog.  They told me that they had 35 bobwhite quail and 2 chukars planted and that they only shot 8 bobwhites.  Then they told me that they were done for the day and that I was welcome to hunt their field.  I ended up getting both the chukars and 6 of the bobwhites out of their field.  I should have got more, but my lab started to overheat on me.  He scared me for a little while and I had to let him rest for about 45 minutes plus lots of water.  

All in all, it was a great first experience at Quailpoint.  I would highly recommend the place to anybody looking for a reasonably priced day shoot.  The 3 pheasants only cost me $65.  Then if you find and shot anything else, like I did, there is no extra charge for those birds.

Once again thanks to those of you who recommended the place.  Whoadog, I put a good word in for you with Gary to let him know that you have been posting nice material about his club.  He seemed appreciative.

Well, its time for me and my dog to get some sleep.  I got a ressie for Grizzly Island in the morning (11/10/01).

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have made two trips out there this year and both times it was hot and I volunteered my services to people who had labs that pooped out in the heat.  I wasn't going to bring it up after the dog debate we had a few weeks ago but that is one benefit to a true upland dog.  The first group I helped complained to Gary that there field was not planted according to what they payed for so I told Gary I would take them out for him, as I know he always plants what is payed for.  They ended up killing more than they payed for and have invited me to their duck club and pig hunting on their lease, worked out great for everybody.  There are plenty of birds for the taking out there after 10:30 if you and your dogs are conditioned to go after them as a lot of people quit early.  I usually hunt until 2-2:30.

Brian

Brian

Bodie

Reaction score
Whoadog,

You're comment about a lab not being a true upland dog, is something that I have been considering.  This is the first year, I have had my own hunting dog.  In the past I have always hunted with other people and their dogs.  Even though my lab is young and in great shape, running him all day in warm weather on dry ground really took the steam out of him.  Without water around to swim in  he heats up and tires quick.

Thus, I am contemplating getting another dog this winter/spring.   I want a pointing dog, but which breed I have no idea.  I want something that will have little wander lust, hunt close to me, have a great nose, have the ability to be highly trained and be a gentleman if let in the house occasionally.  Any ideas?  I have been thinking maybe a Brittany, only since this is the one pointing breed I know something about.      

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I read in one of those dogs encyclopedias that german shorthairs withstand the same amount of heat as labs. Do you guys think its true?

Whoadog

Reaction score
Bodie,
 I am so partial to my type of dogs, i have three llewellins, that I may not be a good one to ask.  I will tellyou that my dogs are outstanding around my kids, even when tey are being annoying, as I would never have a dog that would bite.  Most hunting breeds are excellent companion dogs both inside and outside, it is basically in the socialization.  I am hoping to be at Gray Lodge on Wednesday.

Brian

Brian

Top Bottom