quail

colby18

Reaction score
how do you hunt quail?  I picture hunting them the same way that you would hunt pheasant.  That being just walking through brush and hoping to flush some out.  I have heard of people just driving along the road and when they see them scatter they hop out of the truck  and stock the covey.  which way would be best, or are there other way?
thanks,
colby

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Walking thru the brush flushing them works good sometime.  Best thing to do is make sure there's some water sources in the areas you want to hunt.  Also, listen for quail calling, or call them yourself.  A lot of times sitting on a hill calling until you get a answer is a good last resort.  And yes you can drive around untill you spot some, but you may be driving a long time before you see some in the open.  

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Join Quail Unlimited and get involved with a chapter local to you. You can work on the guzzler and habitat projects which doubles for scouting prior to the season.

Stephan

colby18

Reaction score
is fort hunter's leggit and clear creek in zone a, also in those areas would there only be mountain quail? or are you soppose to tell between mountain and valley when they fly?  I'm getting a little confused about opening dates.
sorry about all the questions I'm a rookie,
colby

Jay

Reaction score
Yerp them places are in A zone as far as deer go.

As for quail, only the Sierras, Cascades & Trinity alps areas have an early mountain quail season. And yes mountain and valley quail can be mixed in some of those areas so you have to know the difference during the early mountain quail season.  Hunter Ligget and the Clear Creek area are in the "balance of state" quail zone. You can take either mountain or valley quail in that zone when the season is open.  

3curljohnny

there's a whole slew of other"mountains" that open early also jay. the entire b zone and i believe the northern a zone opens along with grouse and squirrel.

Fubar

Reaction score
colby  Go to Jesses hunting page. Check out the quail section in hunting. This should give you all the info you need. Jesse goes to all the effort to put  info into his hunting page for us. If we dont use it once in a while it will hurt his feelings. If you cant find the info you need just ask us and we will be glad to help you.                Fubar

Ponscm

Reaction score
Going off the post in the upland section...

For those of you guys that are archery bird hunters, what type of setup do you shoot, arrow-wise I mean?  I would assume Flu-flu arrows are a must, but how about the tip?  Are judo points effective, or can you use blunts or even field points?  I was also thinking of chasing quail for the first time with my bow this year and am curious as to what you veterans use.  Thanks for the help!

overdrawn

Reaction score
Ponscm....Well I don't consider myself a veteran by any means....but I have taken grouse with a field point and same vanes that I use for big game, only used practice arrow. And I have also taken dove with the same arrows and a judo tip, last year we tried our luck on the quail...them buggers just keep moving and didn't stay still long enough to even get a pin on them. But I tell ya the grouse, man they are pretty easy. I shot one and the rest of the covey just kinda hovered around and squacked really loud over the one I shot. If I'd thought about it I think I could have knocked another arrow and got another one or two. The doves are easy if your in an area that isn't pressured and they are feeding right on the ground...they just kinda stand there and let ya launch arrows.
Good luck!

RobCollins43

Reaction score
Judo points work good on grouse, rabbits, stray cats, magpies, blackbirds, chipmunks and squirrels, but I have also used a broadhead that was a little dinged up.  I'd say judo points are my favorite followed by those rubber blunt tips, they don't burrow under grass as much and they fly more like a field point.  

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
I think it's Zwickey..?, that makes a tip called the Snarrow. Kind of like a judo w/3 wire loops.

It's not legal in Ks. to take any bird but turkey off the ground, so you'd have to hit 'em in flight. Not me!

:roll-eyes-fade-in:

Mike C

Reaction score
Go to the http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ web site. Look up Fishing and Hunting.
Hunting on the left of the page. Go to Hunting then Game Bird Heritage Special Hunts Program. Then Quail Hunt. Call the number listed and sign up for a Quail hunt experience with the DFG and learn some of the ropes of Quail hunting with people who know. Great experience. Once you get hooked you'll be doing it for years. and Quail season runs for months not just weeks. Some of the best times to hunt are when it is cooler.

Maverick

Reaction score
Mike nice reply! to bad you are 4 yrs late that post was from june 2001

Common Sense

Reaction score
He probably don't know no more about quail hunting now than he did in 2001; I've been chasing them birds for 45 years and still ain't figured it out.

Mike C

Reaction score
Ya I'm late and I have BBs (bent barrel syndrom), finger dyslexia while surfing the post in the forum and a newby, so why are you bothering to replay? Nothing like revising an old post hey!

Top Bottom