Question about frs

grizz

Reaction score
I've got two Motrola talkabout 101's. I want to buy two more radios so each in our group has thier own when the field.  What I want to know is, dose it matter what brand I buy?  Are they all comepatable with each other?  Thanks for any help.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Grizz,

There are 14 FRS channels in FRS radios. Most of the higher priced radios have all 14 channels in them, the cheaper models have one or 2 channels in them. Along with the 14 channels there are usually 38 "Private Codes" available for each channel.

THe problem of matching different brands of radios is that most manufacturers use all 14 channels the same but they number and use different "Private Codes" in their radios. So a Motorola radio on say channel 1, private code 1 may be channel 1, private code 4 on a Cobra radio.

Bottom line, it's best to stay with the same manufacturer to prevent the mixup or you can look in the manuals to figure out which is the right channel and private code to be on to make the radios talk to each other. This will cause confusion if switch channles and don't have the manuals handy to read.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom