Question about replacing a belt on a washing machine

BDB

Reaction score
I have a fairly old White Westinghouse washer. It's been making a lot of noise lately. That and the spin cycle just isn't getting rid of the excess water. Usually have to do the final spin 3 times to get most of the water out. At this point I assmed it was either the belt connecting the motor to the drum or maybe the motor.

I pulled it all apart today to have a look and the belt is in tact but looking pretty worn. There is also a fine black rummer dust all over the bottom where the belt spins. In a circle under the drum is a black ring of what almost looks like mouse turds but it's not it's greasy oil rubber dust bunnies.

So, it's been a long road to this question. How big of a job is it to get in there and replace that belt? Anyone have any tips or suggestions. Also at this point, I can't find the belt part as the "model number" on the washing machine doesn't show up on any parts web sites. Taking the machine apart to measure the belt and being without it for a period of time would be painful.

Any thoughts welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers,

FresnoHunter

Reaction score
Go out and spend some money and buy a new energy efficient model, then if you are so inclined then repair the old one and put it on craigslist.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Buy the same washer at a garage sale or craigslist for $20 and junk the present one.

Or call these guys - APED in Santa Cruz: eight three one - four six two - three four five six. This place is awesome - old skoo independent and family owned, and they hook me up all the time. Call them and describe the problem, and part you think you need, and they'll know exactly what you need, and need to do. They'll prolly be able to tell you where to buy the part in The City.

But first - check the hoses and screens for any kinks or crap that might be partially blocking them. It happened to ours - wouldn't drain, spun slow, and it was just a little too much twist in the hose that kept it from draining. It also might be the pump, the washer ain't gonna spin alot of water happily if the pump isn't doing the job, and that might cause the wear on the belt. But first check the drain hose.

BDB

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. The washer belongs to the apartment I rent and is OLD!! I am moving to Boston in less than 2 months so the thought of buying a new one or even spending much time or money resolving this issue is not high on my list. The other part is I use the darn thing every day with the baby around these days. The other side of things is the landlord stated when we moved in, the washer was provided but not an official part of the rent so if it died I was on my own. I am happy to handle the repair if it's relatively easy. I did find the part on-line for about $10 plus shipping, so I may give it a shot myself.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
BDB...........

Do yourself a HUGE favor (if you haven't found this place already) and go to Repairclinic.com. Super userfriendly site for learning what typically goes wrong with specific appliances, symptoms, etc. REAL, REAL handy site, I've repaired a dishwasher, washer, dryer and oven each time on the first crack with their simple diagrams and recommendations. And it's FREE.

If you need a part, they've got em too...........Great money saving site for the at home do-it-yerselfer as far as I'm concerned.....

Top Bottom