Question about RS PIR Instructions

glen71

Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm new but have scanned over most of the topics, so forgive me if this has been answered previously.

The instructions on Jesse's site for modifying the RS 49-425 PIR sensor is confusing me. In one place it states that if the PIR is used in the "Chime" mode, only one picture would be taken when the PIR triggered. Elsewhere, it states that unless the Owl PF is in forced flash, a delay timer is required to avoid multiple pictures. Am I missing something?

(Edited by glen71 at 9:25 pm on Aug. 15, 2001)

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I don’t think you’re missing anything Glen, but it might have been a reference to the flash having to recharge allowing the camera a few seconds in-between pictures because in Chime mode it only takes 2 seconds for the sensor to close the relay tripping the camera.  When the camera has to re-charge due to a flash, this extends the time between pictures.  I have found that the light sensor on the camera, when in the case, never gets enough light to cause the camera to not use its flash.  So in other word, if the camera is set for Auto Flash or Forced Flash it is going to flash anyway causing it to recharge between pictures and not take two or three pictures one behind the other.  In Alarm mode, it takes a long time befor the movement triggers the relay and the subject may have already left the field of view.

MO Blaster

Reaction score
I have my cam set up with the RS PIR on chime and my owl on forced flash.   With the flash on I get less shadows in the daytime pictures.  The flash takes almost five seconds to recharge giving you a small delay.  If you use the alarm mode, the relay is tripped for a long enough time to take multiple pictures, even with the flash on.  The chime mode only trips it for a few seconds allowing only one picture (with flash on).  I've never tried it with flash off and PIR on chime to see if it takes multiple pics.  One other thing I've noticed with my setup is that as long as the animal is moving in the PIR sensing area (on chime), the camera will not take another picture even after the flash is recharged  (LED test light still on also) giving me a delay......as long as the animal doesn't stop in the sensing area.  Once it stops, the sensor will trip the realy again after the animal begins moving again (minus the delay from the flash).  I don't know if it does this for anyone else, but it does for me.  I connected my relay to the #2 pin and test light to the speaker wires.

Top Bottom