Question about RS Pir

Big Gun

Reaction score
I used the Radio Shack PIR when I first built my camera and it seemed to work o.k. at home when testing it.  After I put the camera out, it started giving me problems.  The sensor only seemed to trip about every 10-12 trys.  It was though it would only trip if the zone that goes out at about 120degrees from the camera face were crossed.
My question is; could my hole in the housing be too small?  I tried adjusting the sensor distance in relation to the fresnal lense but this didn't help.
I still have the RS pir, but I'm using the MS20 now.
Thanks for any help.

sven

Reaction score
You probably don't have the PIR centered on the hole you made for the fresnal lense.  I've used the RS sensor, but I leave the whole unit intact.  I cut a hole in my cam housing, stick the sensor housing through, and seal it with silicone.  That way I don't have to mess with aligning the pir and fresnal or worry about getting the spacing right.  This way you also have control of the sensor pattern.  I use electrical tape to cover the outer edges if I'm just getting head shots.

(Edited by sven at 11:29 am on Jan. 21, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Sven is probably right the pir is probably not centered.Make sure it is centered in hole. I leave my whole unit intact bu sand down the front of housing flush to where the lens sits and then I butt unit up against the door with the lens siliconed to door.I run a 3/4 inch hole.by leaving unit intact I can still use the switch to flip from 5 to 30 sec delay.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom