Question for Arch

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Arch,
I was interested in trying an Optocoupler instead of a reed relay on a cam. I was looking through the 5 pages of "optoelectronics' in my Mouser catalog but could not pin anything down.
Could you please share a bit more information on what to look for in an Optocoupler and maybe a good source or PN.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I was thinking about using a CMOS quad spst analog switch, like the one Hamiltoe uses in his circuit. In the JoeD timer schematic, it calls for two reed relays, this would replace both. It would also use a lot less power, causing the IC to draw less current, and hopefully last longer. You can get one at Newark for 1.94. Has any one else used an analog switch to replace a reed relay? I think I'm going to try it with JoeD's timer, if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi shrtcirkt,
I use the Mouser #551-PS2501-1 (single) or #551-PS2501-2 (dual).

You could try the cheaper part# 512-MCT6x (several parts) - but all specs are not shown in the catalog and I don't know if they'll work or not.

Mouser is a good, cheap source - http://www.mouser.com - but I guess you already knew that!

coyotebandit....Hamiltoe seems to have success with analog switches.  I used some several years back in a non-camera application and the results were not all that great - but maybe parts have improved in the last 5 or 6 years since I tried them.  They do cost a bit more.

Archilochus

passgas55

Reaction score
Arch, what is the min voltage for 551-PS2501-1. I printed out the spec sheet and I see a Veco (V) of 7 and was wondering if that was the min voltage. I would like to use Brian's chip and the outputs are 5 volts. Thanks

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Arch, thanks for the info, I did find it in the mouser catalog (duh).
Have you used this with an Owl camera? If so, did you have any problems with it?
Thanks again Arch,
Shrtcirkt

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi pg55,
5 volts is fine.  The LED input should work down to around maybe 2 volts or a bit less (with appropriate resistor).
The other specs given are for the output transistor and you shouldn't need to worry about them at all (except fo pin numbers).
Brian is using optos on his pre-assembled board - you might ask him which part# he's using.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I have in my notes that Brian is using the Mouser 2501 Opto.  He said he bought the surface mount type, which is just like the 8 pin dip, except without the long leads.  I don't know if the Long Lead type has the same number or not

Arch,

What kind of S & H charges does Mouser charge.  If I just ordered a handfull of these opto's, am I going to pay more for the shipping than the parts?  I have the catalog now, it says the only charge actual shipping charges, whatever that means.....

Thanx Big Guy!

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Arch is right the optos work great.

Tinhorn is right too I use them in my board.  I am using the Mouser #551-PS2501-1 but I will be switching to the #551-PS2501-2 for the next boards I make since it is a little cheaper to buy the dual opto than it is to buy the single opto separately.   WATCH OUT FOR THE SURFACE MOUNT PART NUMBER I USE.  IF you are putting these together on your own make sure you use the DIP package and not the surface mount package unless you are setup to use it.
The five volts on the opto is fine like Arch says.  I just use a 10K resistor to pull in the opto and it draws about 300uA.  I will probably go up on the resistance to reduce the current but still pull in the opto.

Make sure you hook your camera up right with the opto.  Common for the camera needs to go to the emitter of the opto and the camera functions(shutter/refresh) need to go to the collector or it will not work.

I think Arch deserves and ATTA BOY for this one.
Thanks a million Arch.

(Edited by Brian at 8:49 am on Feb. 15, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
Mouser recently raised their minimum shipping charge to 6 US$.

WoW! - I think that's the shortest reply I ever wrote!

Archilochus

<<<<EDIT>>>>
That's for prepaid orders.. for credit card orders they claim only actual shipping - estimate at about 10% of parts cost

(Edited by Archilochus at 4:59 pm on Feb. 15, 2002)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom