Question for Hamiltoe

swampfox

Reaction score
do you have to use the 4 "c" batteries and is there another option like a 9 volt? Also i've built twocams ,do you think i would have trouble building your board myself? i can solder ok.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
swampfox,
You can use any battery source ranging from 5 to 10 volts.  However, the higher the voltage, the more current draw though the walk test LED.  The current limiting resistor for the LED was designed for 6 volts.  The life of the LED can be reduced if you use higher voltages, but it will work OK.  You can use a 9 volt battery, but the battery life will be reduced from well over 1 year (using 4-C's)  to around 1-2 months.  The calculations are based on room temperature, so cold weather would reduce the time some.  If you want to use a 9 volt battery and also have extended battery life, you can replace the quad op-amp (LM324) to a cmos version (LMC660 or LPC660 or TS27M4AIN) that is pin for pin compatible and will significantly reduce battery consumption.  I think the cost for the cmos chips are around 2 to 4 dollars from mouser or radioshack.  The RS part numbers for the LMC660 is 900-6330 and the LPC660 (mil spec/cold weather version is 900-6331).

The key to assembling my board is good soldering skills.  You definitely need a soldering iron with a small pen style tip and it should not be over a 20 watt iron.  I include clear and easy instructions...so I've been told.  I had a couple of people order the boards who did not have any soldering experience and they seemed to assemble them OK.

swampfox

Reaction score
one more thing. the cb1a kit does not include the trumeter 7016 counter. is that correct? i dont think i would need it.

Top Bottom