Question for Hunter Safety Instructors

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
As some of you may or may not already know, I was recently in the hospital with heart problems.

I had intended to take a hunter safety class in April. Obviously, with the heart thing, I have to be more careful about my physical activity.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how physically taxing a class would be.

I can do light to moderate exercise, so I imagine I'll be o.k. I just wanted to ask what those who have taught classes thought.

Thanks,

GSG

springer

Reaction score
In Iowa t5he class are not to physical. Most of the class 9is sit and listen to the instructors. I have a couple of ideas. First if you feel that it is to much, check to see if they offer the class online for the classroom stuff. Iowa offers this option and then all you have to do is show up to a class and take a 25 question test over the material and walk the safety trail. The safety trail is stuff like identifing proper ammo for gun, feilds of fire, proper fence crossing techniques, demo various carring positions, pretty simple stuff. If you have questions, there should be a lead instructor you can call to make special arrangements.

arizona hunter

Reaction score
In AZ it's all easy. The most vigorous thing is the 1/2 day spent at the shooting range very slowly walking a course. If a person is unable to cross a fence for example due to current physical limitations that will not cause you to fail the class.
Call your local state Game/Fish office, I bet they will be very accommodating-and the class will benefit from your past experiences in the field.

Also, ask if your state has online class, AZ just started it last fall. Do the y class from your house then all you have to due is the "field day" at the range.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
In California, 90% of the time our students are simply sitting in class, listening and interacting verbally with us. The only activity they really do is the hands-on portion where they operate actions and safetys of different types of rifles, loading and ejecting dummy rounds and handing the firearm off to someone else safely (hopefully....). In one other part of the class, they might get up to get a better look at all the survival gear we lay out on a table for them.

If their pulse rate goes above 70, it's not from anything we ask em to do, it's just cause they're excited. Some classes offer live firing of firearms (I don't), but I don't know of any that would require anything strenuous. But, if the one in your neighborhood requires you to do one-arm pushups or something of that nature........just simply tell them you have a recent heart condition that doesn't allow you to do strenuous activity. Better yet.......call the instructor you intend to take the class from ahead of time and talk to them about their class.

BTW, my wife has the same condition as you do. She quit drinking caffinated coffee and it subsided to a great degree. She started going to a gym 3 times/week doing classes, elliptical machine and all and hasn't felt that extra beat come back or had any problems whatsoever. And recently, she retired (used to get up at 3am to go to work, now sleeps in until 6am), and just yesterday told me that she really hasn't had even a hint of a symptom of it and thinks her level of stress (now low) may have also had something to do with it. I hope your doctor can suggest some of the same minor and positive adjustments to your daily life and you experience the same good stuff that my bride has.....best of luck to you on that, and if you want to write me or my wife on her experience/opinion with her arrythimia, please do. Take care.....

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
First of all thanks for the feedback. I figured that was what the class would be like and it doesn't sound too taxing.

Freedivr,

I have been off caffeine for six years, since I had heart surgery. I know I need to exercise more and lose some weight and am working on that. I'm also working at reducing stress. The doctors think this might be a relatively rare thing and have a lower instance of coming back. I do a bunch of tests in the next month or so and we'll have a much better idea what's going on. So far it has been good though, with no problems.

I do appreciate the offer to compare notes, and I may take you up on that. A lot of what is out there about arrythimia is very negative and depressing. It would be nice to see share some positive ideas.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Allright GSG.........Anytime you wanna talk to my wife about it, her email is BluePT4me@aol.com. I'll give her the heads up that you might be writing her to compare notes.....

P.S. I gotta git my wife to change her email name, though.....that PT is long gone.....

faith

Reaction score
Arizona hunter

I thought Arizona was one of the states that did not require hunter saftey class to get a hunting license, Thats why one of my cousins moved there and I get one every year with just showing my Ca ID.

arizona hunter

Reaction score
You are correct. As an adult you do not need to have a Hunter Safety class under your belt (like Colorado does for example).

If a person is age 10-13 (even an AZ resident), and wishes to hunt big game , they must complete an approved Hunter Safety class and have a valid hunt license or combo hunt/fish license plus any required permit tags or stamps.

I once hunted hogs in CA, but I do not remember if I had already completed a safety class or not. Does CA require it for non-residents?

faith

Reaction score
Arizona hunter

You need a certifacate of competence or completion of a "approved" hunter saftey course from another state or a current hunting license from another state to get a two day non-resident hunting license in Ca.

Top Bottom