Question for Mike Riley

jerry d

Reaction score
Mike,

Does the CWA have a legal defense fund that could receive contributions. I always send an extra $50 contribution, that I imagine goes into a general fund, when I renew my membership.

My thinking is that "we" should have something like this setup for contributions that would be used specificlly to defend the future of hunting in this state, which many seem to feel will be necessary in the future.

Not being familiar with all the "outdoor organizations" in Calif., I realize there may be  others, such as the NRA, that are already equipped to take the task but it seem to me we should also have an organization, such as the CWA, that will be very familiar with the "local" problem when/if it arrives, in whatever form it may take.

Hope you can understand what I'm trying to get at.

Just wondering........  

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Good question, Jerry.  Yes, the Hunting Heritage fund was set up for this reason.  It also can be used for youth and education issues - As hopefully education may prevent problems down the road.  Last year the board approved using the life member endowment funds for emergencies caused by anti-hunting groups that would threaten waterfowl hunting in CA.  Though the life member fund is a 1 million dollars plus - it is a drop in the bucket compared to the money the anti-hunting groups have access to.  Also don't get sucked into the train of thought that DU will help.  They have said they will not get involved in these type of hunting issues.  Ca's hunters need to raise a "warchest" and the Hunting Heritage fund is the only one specific to CA that I know of.  I think we could count on help from the NRA, but we better prepare in state, since CA tends to face the most challanges from Anti-groups.  If every waterfowler in CA belonged to CWA that would certainly help.  If just 25% of them sent $50 (like you have done) that would be $875,000 a year and that would go a long ways to starting to build a "warchest" to protect Ca's hunting heritage.  

Top Bottom