Question for ya Mr. Mike R.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Pretty simple...

If 75 hunters show up at sutter on friday nite and they all put their names in a hat to see who gets in first.  

Did the 75 hunters all have a fair chance to get in ??  Simple yes or simple No

Now if it stays the same. Did the 75 all get a fair shake ?

As far as rotating LDC and Sutter. Boy oh boy I wish I was one of the group. What more could you ask for. LDC twice a week one year and Sutter Twice a week the next.

Woodduck

Reaction score
Hey E.A, is it fair to ask me to drive 125 miles each way on the chance I might get to hunt in the morning, while all the club hunters show up and throw their name in the hat and if they don't get drawn, they hunt their club in the morning while I sleep in.  Been to Dry Creek lately?  Late in the season there is typically 200+ groups vying for 10-15 spots.  I "Got Lucky" once last year there in the lotto.  About 1 in 10 on the dates I put in.  That will be Sutter as soon as it turned Lottery.  

Why would any of us want to make ALL of the so-called Quality refuges fit your definition of fair.....  Lotto or nothing?  I'm certainly not asking you to employ my favorite system, FC-FS, on ALL refuges.  Why should you insist on imposing your system on all refuges.  As we've said time and time again, we need a system that is balanced to the needs of our entire refuge hunting community.  You represent about 50% of the hunter base, but I represent the other 50% (see the DFG Survey). Right now the Sac complex is balanced 75% lotto and 25% FC-FS.  If you look at it on a hunter quota basis, the pendulum is even more unbalanced towards lotto.

While I'd sure love to be part of the retired crew that can sit in line all the time, I work for a living and if I want to sweat Sutter, I take a day's vacation to wait in line.  I'm sure you could do the same, but choose not to.  Is that a problem with the system?  Is it unfair?  

I think unfair is imposing a system at all refuges that is only preferred by half the hunting population.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
I think Phil put it pretty well.   Is lotto fair to guys who drive long distance, while others drive 15 minutes.   Not the same deal if somebody drives from Colusa or Willows to Delevan and another guy has a 6+ hour round trip from San Jose.  Different people have different time and expense invested in a day hunting.  Nothing is even equal for all concerned.  Give everybody a choice.  The irony is that when all the refuges were FC/FS you could always get on a refuge at shoot time.  Lotto came about because of a parking problem due to the USFWS not being willing to open the parking lots early.  There were more hunters and less refuge quota, but everyone seemed to get on.  Go figure.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Thanks for the chat guys.  Seems a few more joined the board since this started. Thats a good thing.

Honeymoon over Woodduck ?

What shall we hagle over next ??

See ya in line.

E.A.

Woodduck

Reaction score
Guess so E.A.  We're talking about duck hunting on public refuges after all and you might be racing to my pond.  We can't be cordial to one another, can we?

How about a new topic.  How do you dupe your buddy into taking a spoony over the decoys?

E A Hunt

Reaction score
It's gotta be comming from over his back where he can't see it and you do. Then you whisper real low and conserned like.   "Don't move !!! Don't even blink !!!" You tell him you think it's a Euro-Widgon with it's wings set comming hard. When the spoon is ten yards out you yell SHOOT.

BigDog

Reaction score
Obviously, E A has practice in suckering his buddies...hahahahaha

Woodduck

Reaction score
And who doesn't take satisfaction in duping his buddy when he's got 6 greeheads on the strap and needs just one more bird.  That's what I call the best part of the hunt.

Top Bottom