Question for you die hard reloaders

shadow

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting into reloading. I do alot of rifle hunting and have started geting into pistol hunting and target shooting.

I currently own 30.06, 12ga shotgun, 20 ga shotgun, 410 shotgun, several different 22's, a 38 special, 40 s&w, 44 mag, 9mm, 380 pistol, 243 rifle (youth model), and a 30.30.

Factory loads have been good to me so far for hunting but not quite there for the target shooting.

Would you recommend I get into reloading for target shot and stick to factory loads for hunting?

If you recommend reloading what setup in the mid price range would you recommend that would accomidate all of the guns I own? Please include primer press's, crimpers and/or whatever else as I would need to purchase everything.

Thanks for you time.

AMMOe

Reaction score
I'd get the Lee equipment. Their powder measure is excellent, as are their crimping dies. I have never had a problem with any die set I've purchased and their "Collet Dies" are superb. Their loading manual, "Modern Reloading, Vol II" is the best that can be had, in my opinion. Check them out.~AMMOe

smokin54

Reaction score
I have equipment from just about all manufactures , all of them make some stuff that I dont like and but most of it is pretty good . The list of possibe reloading gadgets can get very long .
I prefer to prime by hand using a lee hand primer vs using the reloading press itself , I can feel when the primer is seated.
The Lee reloading press feels sloppy but will load some very accurate rounds when properly setup , I also use a pair of Lymans presses .I have bought reloading presses on ebay , you just have to watch to get one at a good price .
There is no reason not use your reloads for hunting .

kmitch

Reaction score
I reload to achieve better accuracy than I am able to obtain with factory loads. You may find that in some cases factory loads meet you expectations, however, in a hunting round I am generally looking for something that will group at less than an inch and preferably around a half inch at 100 yds. I load primarily bottle neck rifle cases but have loaded some pistol cases also.

Like one of the other posters, I have equipment from almost all of the major manufacturers. Some I like and some doesn't get the job done for me. A lot of my stuff I picked up at gun shows used at a considerable discount from new. Some I bought on ebay when the price was right.

It's a great hobby and it will get you to the range frequently. You'll be looking for those calm days to test drive a few handloads.

Keith

jmabbott888

Reaction score
I'll put my vote in for the LEE Anniversary kit, its cheap, works great & is quality equipment. It come with alot of the needed accewsories & a single stage press that will still be of use to you if end up getting a progressive press later on

For the shotgun loads you'll need a seperate set up for them, Mec makes loaders for everything & their 600 loader is a good one, if you want even lower price try the LEE in 20 or 12 gauge. hope this helps

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
The majority of my equipement is RCBS. It all works very well, and was resonably priced. The case trimmer is a little chincy compared to some others. The lyman trimmer is the best one IMO.

As far as using factory loads only for hunting, why? Did you hear something somewere about that? I have several rifles that have never had a factory round through them, and can't remember the last time I killed something with a facotry load.

quigleysharps4570

Reaction score
The guys gave you good sound advise. There's alot to choose from. I've always been a RCBS fan myself, everyone's different. Once you get to reloading, saving factory cartridges for hunting won't even cross your mind. My rifles would disown me if I ran a factory round through them
!

gc4279

Reaction score
shadow, it won't take you long to build up confidence in your reloads for hunting. With a little experimenting you can make shells that are almost always better than the factory ones. Not that there is anything wrong with factory stuff. It's just that you will find a load that shoots best in your particular gun. Just make sure you buy a couple of good books and read them before you start. Get one that deals specificly with how to reload. Things like grains, pressures, fast or slow burnning powder, bullet shape are inportant. Once you understand the fundimentals it's safe, easy and a whole lot of fun.
Gary

Dave in LB

Reaction score
If your happy with factory loads don't bother reloading. As others mentioned we do it to achieve better accuracy, save a little money( really it just allows more shooting) and have the pleasure of building our ammunition to suit specific conditions. First I suggest you get a Copy of Lyman's 48th reloading Handbook and read it. Figure you'll spend $300-700 on equipment and supplies. If you are still intereseted ( and I hope you will be) I would suggest either the RCBS master reloading kit, the Dillon AT 500 or RL550B (a little more $ and worth every penny) with the reloaders kit, or a Redding T7 press and reloading kit. You will need a good set of calipers (dial or digital), a powder scale if it doesn't come in the kit, and at least one manual if you didn't pick up the Lyman's Handbook. hodgdons #27 and Speer 13 are good manuals as is the new Barnes or the Lee manual. I also recommend a tumbler and dillon spray lube for the rifle cases., there are other things like a chronograph that will be handy as well. Hope this helps and you decide to make the investment.

I noticed that pistol shooting was a priority in your post so I will lean you more in the direction of the progressive Dillon RL550B press. You can crank out tons of pistol ammo with this press and it is great for rifles too.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom