Question on CA Deer tag process/strategy/timing?

jryoung

Reaction score
Got my notice back lastnight with available options. So I think I want an A tag and a D3-5. For my A tag I might be able to hunt private property, but am trying to determine the legality of firearm discharge where it is located. So my thought would be to go Archery (I just need to get a bow in 10 days). For D3-5, I'd hut rifle and have lots of time.

So should I request A on my notice for my first deer app, then go buy a D3-5 with my second? Am I correct in assuming my tag will be back in 10 days if I want to hunt the A zone archery opener? Also, I've never gotten a second before, do I just go to a licensed dealer and request one? Or is it a mail/DFG office request?

Thanks.

slanttop357

Reaction score
If you got a DFG office near u u can buy it over the counter no waiting good luck.

Abourda

Reaction score
If you know you can only archery hunt in one of those zones...then get an "AO" tag which will allow you to archery hunt in the A, B, D zones during their archery and rifle seasons with a bow. So you could hunt the A zone archery opener and hunt all the way until the last day of the D zone general season with archery equipment. AO=archery only. Great tag!

JTA6498

Reaction score
Like slanttop said, if you live near a DFG office, you can go directly to them. They can do it all over the counter. Very doubtful you would have your A-zone tag in time for next weekends opener if you send it in.

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
jryoung; So my thought would be to go Archery (I just need to get a bow in 10 days). Thanks.[/quote said:
You say you don't have a bow; are you an experienced archer, or is this something you're just getting into?

gundogs

Reaction score
I would get the D tag asap , the AO tags do not sell out and can be had over the counter at DFG.

Lahontan

Reaction score
I don't mean to second guess another member but I wouldn't worry about the D3-5 tag as there are 33,000 and I'm not sure it has sold out in who knows how long. I would get it soon, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
So my thought would be to go Archery (I just need to get a bow in 10 days).
Unless you are lucky enough to win the lottery too stay away from the bow. It takes at least several months, if ever, to become good enough with a bow to make consistent killing shots. If you aren't a proficient archer please, for the sake of the game and the image of the sport, stay away from the bow until you've had several months to become proficient. It not something you can just pick up and learn to shoot in an afternoon.

Top Bottom