Question on cold weather and batteries

cgchris99

Reaction score
I put my camera out last friday.  Since then, it has been pretty cold here.  Lows around 8 and highs in the low 20's.  How long should I expect the doubleA's to last.  I did change the 9volt before I put it out.

Thanks for any advice.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
It's the 9v you got to worry about I think, the Cam AA's will last quite a while

my 2¢ worth

Applbit

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. its been getting down around zero or a bit below and only in the teens for highs.  what kind of life can i expect from regular alkaline batteries?  
what about lithium batteries? are they worth it?

cgchris99

Reaction score
But will the camera function when it's about averaging about 15degrees F.  ??

Assuming the batteries survive.

thanks

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi cg,
Read coyotes ('Yotees) past posts to find out about cold weather operation.
If you find that you do need some extra kick for your cam, try the "external battery adapter" on my web-site:
http://www.geocities.com/archilochus57
It's on there somwhere...

Couple of "D" cells should get you through the worst of the winter.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Curtiss

Reaction score
The colder it is, the worst that your batteries will perform. When you crank up your car, or truck in warm weather, it does O.K. if the battery is within means. When it starts getting colder, if the battery is not within its means, it will give you trouble. The small double A's and the like are small, and feel the temp. The colder, the less they will perform. The electrons don't travel as fast, as they will on a warm day. They don't last as long on real hot days either.
   This is my opinion, and maybe someone else will sled light on this.

cgchris99

Reaction score
Arch... Can I use 'C' batteries instead?

If yes, how do it know the voltage is correct?  Sorry, not too familiar with electronics.

I have my camera in a Pelican 1120 case and want to make sure I have room for the additional batteries.

Thanks for the info

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi cg,
Sure, you can use 2x "C" batts - anything that adds up to about 3 volts will do.

Any regular alkaline battery has a per cell voltage (nominal) of 1.5 volts.  So you can use 2x "AA" (which the cam takes normally) 2x "C" , or 2x "D" in series to get the needed 3 volts. Series connection means you connect the "+" of one batt to the "-" of the next batt.

NiMH or NiCd rechargeable batts have lower per cell voltages  - about 1.2V, but might also work for the cams.

You can also do like 'Yotee does and 'double up' the batteries in parallel - but you probably don't have room for more than two external "C" cells in the Pelican case. Parallel connection means you connect all batt "+" together and all "-" together.  But the way 'Yotee does it he must use a combo of series & parallel connections.

Archilochus

TmKarren

Reaction score
I had my cam out in 20 - 5 degr. weather the cam batterys lasted 2 days.  I pulled the cam out the battery indicator read full.  The thing you need to worry about is the camera freezing up.

Top Bottom