question regarding boar meat..

rwlittle

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got a little piggie from a recent hog hunt (only about 40 pounds). I got him Sunday, and want to cook it this Friday night. Should I freeze it now or just keep it sealed up in the fridge until cook time?

thanks,

:patiotic-wavin-flag

NikolaKangrga

Reaction score
I would keep it right at around 32-34 deg. It should be fine just sealing it and leaving it until friday.

weekender21

Reaction score
Pork doesn't benefit from aging like venison or beef but you certainly won't hurt it keeping it in the fridge for five days. One caveat, if you boned out the meat it should be frozen in four days or less. When you cut meat off the bone it will continue to bleed and you run the risk of it drying out. If it is boned out, I would freeze it tonight and pull it out on Thursday.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'm with the previous post (Andy) with one additional comment: freezing the pork for seven days is a final procedure for killing any remaining parasites. If you cook your pork properly i.e. well done, it's probably not an issue.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
I would freeze it for at least 2 days before eating it. Plus you might want to cook a little before the dinner just to see if it's a stinky boar.

Good luck!

rwlittle

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. it was just a little piggie ..I boned it out and ALL of the meat fit in a large ziplock......seriously.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
you talking boar or sow?..not that it matters if it was a football.. either sex at that size would be fabulous..bow shot/rifle/ bb gun?when im in it for eating..i'll take the football every time!!story/money shots?

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
Your pork should be just fine. If you put the meat in the fridge and the temp has been constant it will stay good. I am not sure if you have plans to season or marinade the meat; if you do, you might want to do it now to help preserve the meat. For example, I like to mix a cheap white wine with some Italian dressing a few days before I throw weaner pigs in the pit. My theory is the alcohol and vinegar help prevent bacteria growth. Just my two cents. Hope you enjoy the feast you have harvested. Regardless of boar or sow, there will be no difference in taste if its still a weaner.

easymoney

Reaction score
Small barbeque pigs don't really need any aging. They are perfect just the way they are, with a little sauce. Mmmmmm...

Top Bottom