Questions from a noob

951bulldog

Reaction score
Hello all, 2 questions from a noob. Never hunted anything but birds before, but I want to start hunting coyotes since they are abundant and year round. Anyhoo, I live in Riverside, California and was hoping somebody could give me an idea of where I could hunt. I know people don;t like to give up their secret spots, but just some general ideas of where to start would be great. I see that the Cleveland NF site says you can hunt coyotes there, any thoughts on that.

Secondly, what type of rifles do you use? .223, .270 or something else? Bolt or semi?

Thanks a lot!!

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Bulldog, welcome to JHO!

I'm on the east coast, so I can't help you with location. As for caliber, the .223 is fine for yotes as is the .270 Win.

'Yote hunting is a balance between cost and lethality. The lethality being easier to achieve than elk or moose hunting. Basically, whatever you have that's not excessively expensive to shoot. Personally, I'd stay away from the rimfires and keep the bore at .223 and above. A .223 or .22-250 would be my first choices. Many a 'yote has fallen to the .243 Win. Along those same lines lie the .257 Roberts and the .25-06. If you don't mind the recoil and handload fairly cheaply, the .30-06 and the .308 aren't too much gun. But then I handload and I love my '06.

I'd expect you wouldn't be doing near as much shooting as if you were, say, prairiedog hunting, so the expense isn't as large a factor. Whatever you have should be fine; 'yotes are small and thin skinned. "Dance with the one ya brung."

predatorhunter21

Reaction score
The great hing about coyote hunting is that they are every where. Get yourself a call, get out of the city and find some public land with room to shoot! I shoot a .204 and .223 when we go out. Great yote gun, shoots quick and straight.

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
Congradulations 951bulldog on deciding to fight the good fight and help reduce the coyote population. I too am a Riverside resident and I can tell you first hand that our local mountains (CNF) are loaded with yotes. To answer your first question on where to hunt them I would have to say just pick any road leading into the forest and find a clearing to call. My brother and I started doing this up behind Corona when we were kids. You know, there really isn't a bad place to start. Coyotes can be found near houses or be in the most remotest backwoods area. Hell, I really wish I could hunt them on horseback down in the Santa Ana River bottom. I could pull out a dog a day without even trying. But that's a whole other story. Areas I would suggest near Riverside are; First, anywhere around Corona and Lake Elsinore. Any drainage area usually holds alot of dogs behind these cities. Second, Hwy 79 past Temecula. Any public land out in that area usually has plenty of opportunities. Third, try the SBNF. I always see yotes when I am driving or riding behind any of the mountain communities. And finally, I your looking for a good gun to shoot, anything from a 22 hornet to a cannon will do. I am partial to flat shooting bolt actions just in case I need to reach out and touch someone. My suggestion is to use what you feel comfortable with. If you need some real specific spots to go, feel free to send me a PM. Good luck and post the pics! Oh yah, before I forget, try to pick up a good rabbit call.......

951bulldog

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Farmerdoug. I tried to send you a message, but I don;t see anywhere to do that. I think I might have to get to a certain post count before I can sned a PM. Anyway, if you wouldn't mind emailing me and giving me an idea where I could go, I would really appreciate it. My email is sbash001@yahoo.com .

What I am wondering about is the legality of coyoye hunting in the Cleveland NF. I have never hunted in a NF before, so I have no idea about it and there website is not the most explanitory. I assume I can;t just jump out and start wandering around shooting stuff, so is there a map of hunting/shooting areas?

As for a rifle, like I said before, I've only hunted birds in the past so I have shotguns, but only a few rifles and the rifles I do have I don;t think I can use. I have several AR's and AK's. I think an AR would be perfect, but is it legal? I know there are all kinds if stupid laws about "assault weapons", so I am wondering if it is possible to use one to hunt. I do have 1 AR that has a bullet button, making the mag fixed, which means the rifle isn;t leaglly considered an assault rifle. I wonder if that makes it legalto hunt with since it is considered just a semi-auto rifle.

The only other rifle I have that would be useful for hunting is a .30-06. I see Belchfire says that is good to go, but it seems like a lot of gun for a coyote. But i guess it doesn;t matter since I'm not eating it or framing it, right?

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I had a few questions. Where, can I use an AR and is a >30-06 too big. Thanks again for the warm welcome and the info.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
The Kalifornia guys would be best to interpret the AR regs for you, but it sounds like it should be legal with the bullet button. Marty? Spec? Backcountry?

To PM a member, just click on their username and you'll get a menu with several options one for PM and one for email.

It's best not to post your email address on the open forum unless you like spam. There are tons of spam bots crawling the web looking for email postings like that.

gundogtrainer

Reaction score
I live in riverside near santa ana river, I shoot yotes in my back yard with my bow

951bulldog

Reaction score
The Kalifornia guys would be best to interpret the AR regs for you, but it sounds like it should be legal with the bullet button. Marty? Spec? Backcountry?

To PM a member, just click on their username and you'll get a menu with several options one for PM and one for email.

It's best not to post your email address on the open forum unless you like spam. There are tons of spam bots crawling the web looking for email postings like that.

I guess Farmerdoug set his up to not accept PM's or emails because when you click on his name there is no option for either of those. As for my email addy, you're probably right, but now I don't see anywhere to edit my post. Am I just not seeing it?

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
I live in riverside near santa ana river, I shoot yotes in my back yard with my bow
I'll be honest with you, the thought has crossed my mind about a hundred times to carry my bow on my back while riding my horses down there.

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
I guess Farmerdoug set his up to not accept PM's or emails because when you click on his name there is no option for either of those. As for my email addy, you're probably right, but now I don't see anywhere to edit my post. Am I just not seeing it?
If I do have a "do not accept PM's", then I am not aware of it. As far as giving secret locations, I'll give you a few that I know aren't that secret but still really good. Try starting out in South Corona around Skyline Drive(near Mangular Street); which becomes the N. Main Divide Road and will take you all the way to the Ortega Hwy in Lake Elsinore. I can guarantee any place you decide to stop on that road will be just as good as the next. It's always a crapshoot. Another good spot is behind Murrieta in the CNF. Make sure you have a map that shows you where Santa Rosa Plateau and La Cresta are. These are off limits. (but full of yotes unfortunately). And finally, if worst comes worst, you can always try any of the forestry access roads around Lytle Creek, Silverwood, Lake Arrowhead, or GVL. These mountain communities have tons of dogs lingering on the outskirts of town. As far as your weapon goes, your 30-06 will work great. It will leave a big hole, but still work none the less. I am not sure about the AR. I'll leave that question to others more knowledgeable. Good luck! Post the pics! If you need some more spots, just ask. I am a firm believer that every time you down a dog you save a fawns life.:patiotic-wavin-flag

951bulldog

Reaction score
Thanks Farmerdoug. As for PMs, your's doesn;t say you don;t accept them, the option just sin;t there. If you click on my name or on Belchfire's name a list will drop sown that says View Public Profile, Send PM, Send Email and a few others. When I click on yours the options to send a PM or an email just aren't there.

On the AR front, I spent all afternoon yesterday (literally) trying to figure out if I can use an AR. I finally got somebody at DFG to call me back and he said yes, as long as it is legal to own, it is legal to hunt with. There is no limit on the number of rounds you can have in the mag, but you do have to have "expanding" bullets and can not use lead in Condor areas.

The other thing that I was trying to figure out all afternoon is about hunting in the Cleveland NF. It sounds like you can just go out there and as long as you are 150 yards from structures, roads, etc you are OK to hunt. Is this correct? Like the places you mentioned, do you just pull up and walk a few hundred yards out and you are good to go? Sorry if these are basic, bonehead questions, but I have never hunted in the NF before and the people who work at the CNF office in Corona didn't have a clue. All they did was hand me a flyer they had on the wall about hunting that had the same useless info that is on their website. Apparently there are no maps or anything of areas where you can hunt.

Thanks again!!

Edit: Oh ya, a couple of other things. Hunting at night is leagl, right? It seems like it would be almost impossible to hunt coyotes during the day. Aren't they in their dens all day and active at night? Or can you call them out during the day? Second, can you use electronic calls? 3rd, what is the deal w/ different color lights? Thanks so much and sorry again for asking so many simple questions. i just can't seem to find the Dummies Guide to Coyote Hunting.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Doug,

Check the options on your User CP and make sure you have checked/unchecked the fields allowing PM's and emails. You might have gotten scrambled in the upgrade back in January.

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
Doug,

Check the options on your User CP and make sure you have checked/unchecked the fields allowing PM's and emails. You might have gotten scrambled in the upgrade back in January.
Thanks, I think I fixed it..........

951bulldog

Reaction score
Ya I did, thanks for the info. As for BLM land, I looked at their site and it just gives very general, vague descriptions of what is BLM land. Sooo, where exactly is BLM land?

augnmike

Reaction score
Get the original SB shooting map first. there are over 15 million acres of BLM in California including MNP (Mojave National Preserve)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom