QUIAL IN SAN DEIGO

uhunter

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if anyone is willing to give up a location on where to hunt quail in San Deigo county. I normally hunt on Camp Pendeleton and now looking for a place in the county. Tried Palomar this weekend not much luck, well no luck. Any help would be great.  

East Coast

Reaction score
Hunted quail in SD county myself this past weekend.  No luck either.  I was at about 4500 feet in the laguna mtns.

I have hunted the kitchen creek area twice over the past few weeks and flushed a single covey on each trip.  I found this place from a posting on the Quails Unlimited web site.

As for a mecca of Quail hunting in SD county, I do not know of any but would love to learn if there is one out there.

Did you have a dog?  I do not so that doesn't help my efforts much...

EC

Richard

Reaction score
Hey Uhunter, I went up to Mt Laguna, and only heard the quail. Earlier I was in El Centro and saw one dove but it was out of range for myself and hunting partner.

foulshot

Reaction score
I am going to try a few spots in the next couple of weeks.  If I find anything I'll post and let you know.  Not sure where I'm going to try yet.

OC hunter

Reaction score
Take Hwy 8 east past Pine Valley.  The Hwy heads south for a couple of miles then makes a 90 degree turn left and heads due east.  Between that turn and the National Forest Boundry (about 4 miles east) is good Quail hunting, north and south of the Hwy.  Good Luck!  Let me know if you check this area out.

songdog

Reaction score
Keep hitting that Kitchen Creek area.  There are a reasonable number of birds there.  As it gets cooler and they start getting snow up there you'll find them lower but they're still there.

If you're ever out and run across the border patrol guys (green trucks normally) stop and ask them.  They've been pretty helpful in the past about places right along the border in the desert areas where they patrol.  I don't know if it's BLM or what but they're the ones patrolling it and also the ones recommending it.

foulshot

Reaction score
Well, more than a couple weeks later I finally got out to try a new area.  I went out to the Hauser Wilderness are near Lake Morena, outside of San Diego.  After stopping at the lake for some reassurance on my directions, we managed to find the Nat'l Forest area only to be met by a locked gate.  We asked one of the locals and they said it was ok to walk on through the private property.  About 1.5 miles in we finally started hunting instead of hiking.  Nothing for another mile.  Then we flushed a covey of about 15, too bad we weren't ready.  Into the heavy brush, no chance!  Then we came accross a vehicle parked, another mile or so and some other hunters looking for birds.  We managed to find 3 more coveys, but they would flush about 30 yds in front of us so no dice.  If we would have been the first through we might have had a chance, but after about a 7mile round trip hike no dice.  Time to try another new area.

JesterSoCalifa

Reaction score
It's a hike from the road but in the fields due east of Lake Henshaw (across the lake from the the road and store)  I have jumped 2-3 coveys of Quail. Have also seen others while fishing on the north side of the dam & along the rocks going NE into the fields. This covey near the dam has over 100 birds in it but I have never shot at them. Fly low & shoot straight!!

Chris

Reaction score
Is that public land?  I thought all the land around Henshaw was owned by some water authority (Escondido?).  Do you need to check in with the folks at the lake?  I saw a group of about 15 turkeys just below the dam on my way home from Wister one time last year, makes sense there'd be a few quail.

Bill in SD

Reaction score
JesterSoCalifa, I think you mean Northwest?  Are you talking about the spillway just north of the Highway 76 and Eastgrade roade intersection?

Anyway, to the Northwest of the spillway are rolling hills. They lead up to Love Valley. There was a fire there a couple of years ago and alot of it has opened up.  

Yes, the land along the shore of Lake Henshaw is leased by the Vista Irrigation Agency.  They also control the land on both sides of Highway 76 and the San Luis Rey River.  They have signs posted everywhere on their land, and they have a hired hand who's job description includes busting trespassers.

I saw a bunch of guys with Idaho plates get busted for trespassing a couple of years ago.  The sherrif, Fish and Game, and Vista Irrigation employee were all there along Highway 76 along with the unhappy guys and one dead tom turkey.  I pulled off the road to find out what happend, so that I would not make the same mistake.  It was not a pretty sight at all.

Well, if you look on a Clevland National forest map, you can see that the forest land intersects Highway 76 at a point.  It is the point of a trianglular piece of national forest and there is a survey post off of Highway 76 marking this point.  Anyway the Vista Irrigation employee (who was a hunter himself) told me that these guys wandered off of forest land onto the Vista Irrigation land.  The Vista employee was driving down the road saw the truck parked off the road and walked in and found the hunters on private property and busted them.

The Vista Employee told me that the shore line around the lake belonged to Vista Irrigation and that since the water level had dropped substantially the forest service map was a bit missleading.

Anyway, get a Clevland National Forest Map, then call the Ramona station and ask them for a xerox of the boundries at Lake Henshaw.  

Also, if you drive up East Grade Road off of 76 the land is public on the West, away from the lake once you pass the Forest Service sign.  Below to the south of that sign on the West side of the road is Vista Irrigation land.  To the West of the East Grade Road is national forest land until you get to the shore then it is Vista Irrigation.

Learn the area and watch where you are stepping the public and private land is very close together.  And there is a lot of hunting pressure there with lots of people out looking for trespassers.  Oh, and the poison ivy is THICK!!!

I have seen people get busted out there almost every year for trespassing and I feel for them.  Some of the best hunting is right next to private property, but you have to be very careful not to cross the line.  I got shook down by a warden a few years ago, and he came right out of the brush, startled the hell out of me.  He did not fine me or issue a citation, but he said he had been watching me and I was walking right on the property line *L* !!!  

Happy hunting
Bill

foulshot

Reaction score
Bill, isn't the area you are talking about called "Love Valley"?  or am I thinking of another place.  I know Love Valley is close to Henshaw and is all Nat'l forest.  There was a fire about a year or so ago.  By now the quail and turkey should back in good form.  I had a buddy take a Tom out of there 2 years ago.  There is plenty of good hunting spots and very few parking places along the road.  Just wondering.

(Edited by foulshot at 12:34 pm on Dec. 30, 2001)

Chris

Reaction score
That group of turkeys was below the dam again today (12/29)!  Twelve birds with one real good looking tom.

Richard

Reaction score
I saw that group of birds, early December were south of Love Valley.

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
I see that group of Turkeys everytime I drive past there.....sure would like to thin that flock out

Top Bottom