Quick question

Predator 1

Reaction score
I just want to clarify about power sources regarding digital set ups.

The new pixcontroller and fieldpix boards can be run off AA's and apparently will last quite a while, correct?

Now, the aa's (or whatever is used) that run the board, do those power the cam as well? or does the camera itself run on it's own regular AA power source?

If so How long do the camera bateries last, let's say for a olympus d 380?

I've seen the d 390 plans for an external power source. Is that needed for the d 370/380?

Curious???

bowarr

Reaction score
I would run seperate external batteries for the camera along with having batteries in the camera. I run a set of 4 D batteries for my external camera power(D380) with 4 AA in the camera, and can get 2 months on average out of them. I usually change them after a couple of months just to make sure. Of course it all depends on the number of pictures the camera takes and the outside temp. ( I usually only average 30 pics a week on the trails I watch.) The more pics and the colder the less time they last.

Predator 1

Reaction score
Thanks!

Now with 4 D's running the cam is that 6 volts total?

Do you connect your D cell external power using the dc power port on the cam, or is there other cam modification you need before you can do this?

much appriciated!

Thanks!

pocomoke

Reaction score
for a d370/380 external power source just wire the plug to a battery holder and plug it into the side of your cam,thats it.Just use the right size plug 4.0mmx1.7mm.
Do not run your pixcontroller board and camera off the same supply. with 4 alkalines for external power to cam at 1.5 volts each works fine.They actually will be higher when new so should be around 6.5-.6.6 volts.Camera calls for 6.5 volts at external connection and once mine drop to around 5.2 volts it stops working.,if you plan on using nimh rechargeables then you have to run 5 batteries as they are 1.2 volts...

Muddy Z

Reaction score
pocomoke,

What would you run with the 360 and the universal board?

Predator 1

Reaction score
Is there any concern of putting more than 6.5 volts into the cam, let's say 8 volts?

pocomoke

Reaction score
Muddy I have not tried the new boards yet but plan on ordering some in a week or 2.I think I am going to try 4 aa for the boards and see how long they last.For the cams I use 4 c alkalines for external power on some and have began converting the others to 5 c cell nimhs

Predator I contacted olympus last year and they told me the 6.5 could go to 6.8 without damage but there are folks on this board who have run 7.2 with no adverse effects that I am awhere of.I personally have only went to 7.1 with 5 fully charged nimh c cells that were reading about 1.42 volts each but they dont stay at the voltage for very long and drop off a bit and I have never had any problems.I do not know what would happen at 8 volts but suspect you may be pushing the envelope a bit....

Predator 1

Reaction score
Thanks Poke!

I'm just trying to see what I have for options. I'll be running the cams up here in Saskatchewan over the winter (at least I hope to) and need something that won't freeze up on me. I've had real good luck with the sealed lead acid (12 volt) for my film cams. They ran flawlesslly for 2-3 weeks at a time in -30 weather.

I've been thinking of a 8 volt or 6 volt version to run the D380. At first thought the 6 volt may not be enough but the 8 volt (like you said) would be pushing it. Any thoughts on the 6 volt (4 amp/hr)sealed lead acid?

Pred

bowarr

Reaction score
Predator 1,
Pocomoke answered your questions nicely. As long as the external power is below 7 volts, I do not see a problem with the 6 volt sealed lead acid battery. Just keep batteries in the camera also.

RtWill78

Reaction score
Originally posted by Predator 1@Jul 30 2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks Poke!

I'm just trying to see what I have for options. I'll be running the cams up here in Saskatchewan over the winter (at least I hope to) and need something that won't freeze up on me. I've had real good luck with the sealed lead acid (12 volt) for my film cams. They ran flawlesslly for 2-3 weeks at a time in -30 weather.

I've been thinking of a 8 volt or 6 volt version to run the D380. At first thought the 6 volt may not be enough but the 8 volt (like you said) would be pushing it. Any thoughts on the 6 volt (4 amp/hr)sealed lead acid?

Pred
I thought that that kind of cold will destroy your LCD on the D370/380 digi cams?
How cold have you guy let them get and them still work?
Have you had the cold kill any?
Ryan

Top Bottom