quieting my bow

SDHNTR

Reaction score
What else can I do to quiet my bow inexpensively? I have a PSE Beast and it shoots pretty good, its just loud. I have Limb Savers on it and the cat whisker type string silencers. What else can I do without too much expense? I shoot with a realease if it matters.

3D4ME

Reaction score
SDHNTR;

We need a little more information about your setup. Which limb savers do you have on the bow?? Can you tell where the loud noise is coming from?? Is it a twang, a thud, or vibration noise. Have you checked all the accessory screws, and cam screws on your bow?? Where are you string silencers located on the string?? Do you have a stabilizer on your bow?? What kind of cable guard do you have, and do you have a slide on it?? What type of rest do you shoot?? I know this is a lot of information but it will help in determining where the noise is coming from. Let us know.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Yes everything is tight, I have checked that. The noise does not seem to be coming from any particular place. I think it is just overall vibration of the bow. I have the Simms Limb Savers stuck on the inside of the limbs a few inches from each end. The 2 whisker type string silencers are tied on about 3" from each cam. I do have a stabilizer and I have a cable guard with a slide. It has a tunable, two prong rest with the little slide on plastic silencer thingys. Hope that helps. Any ideas now. I know I am comparing Cadillacs to Pintos but next to my friends Hoyt Ultratec, my boy is a lot louder. I'm just looking for something I might be able to do easily and without spending too much.

Reaction score
Just a thought and a quick and easy test-

If you have a quiver on your bow take it of and try it.

They are a big contributer- especially the one peice models as noive vibrations "radiates" up the bar like a guitar string.

Gl2u,

3D4ME

Reaction score
SDHNTR;

Sounds like everything is in the right location on the bow. When you say overall vibration of the bow it looks like it is in the limbs. Limb materials and limb design both contribute to the overall noise factor. There are two cheap options you might can try.
First is a new stabilizer. One of the Doinker types, you know that has the flexible spacers in them. I put the Sims modular one on an old bow of mine and it helped a 100%. Some of these are expensive and might not be an option. If you have a buddy who has one of these types of stabilizers borrow his and test-drive it. If it works great, you can go get one. If not you are not out any money.
The second will be a product called the “Bowmuffler”. I have not tried this and none of my hunting partners have one. I have talked to guys at shows that swear by them. They are not too pricey about $25.
Try this link out and see what you think. If I think of anything else I will post it back here for you. Let us know how it goes.

http://www.eders.com/BowMuffler-p2458c573-path0.html

brut

Banned
Reaction score
I put the limb savers on my bow quiver and it help out more than i could have imanaged.

in2blacktail

Reaction score
I also think that Simms string leeches might quiet your string a little better than the cat whiskers. Its a cheap experiment. It worked on my bow. Good luck..

in2blacktail

Reaction score
As hunting aproaches, you might NOT want to change things to drastically, but I thought about this after my last post.

Sometimes shooting a real light arrow makes for a loud bow. Might check the chart to see if you should be shooting a heavier arrow which absorbs more of the bow shock of the shot helping reduce some of the bow noise. Just a thought.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
in2B,
Thanks for the tips. I am going to try string leeches, a cable dampener, and a couple accessory dampeners on my quiver to see how that works. I shoot Blackhawk Vapor 4000 arrows so I should be spined OK.

in2blacktail

Reaction score
No problem!! Hope you find the (noise) culprits..
Sounds like your on the right track..
Your arrows sound like their fine.
Happy hunting & shoot straight!!

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by SDHNTR@Jul 29 2004, 11:04 AM
I shoot Blackhawk Vapor 4000 arrows so I should be spined OK.
You may be spined ok but what IN2b was trying to say is a heavier arrow of the same spine will absorb more energy from the bow and hence more noise too. A light (generally carbon) arrow is only able to absorb a certain percentage of the energy the bow generates. As you use heavier and heavier arrows that percentage increases. Lets say just for example the arrow you are using uses 50% of the available energy. Where does the other 50 percent go when you release? The answer is vibration and noise. So with a heavier arrow there is a smaller percentage of leftover energy to create vibrations and noise. If you are shooting a 350 to 400 grain arrow now and you go to a 500 to 600 grain arrow you will see a big difference in the noise. You will lose some speed but I believe a quiet bow far makes up for that especially when hunting jumpy deer. No arrow can go fast enough to negate the effect of a deer jumping the string. It has been calculated that you would need a bow shooting over 900 feet per sec to do so. In other words the 20 or so fps your gonna lose are not going to make that much difference in comparison to sweet silence!!!

Rob

Ps. If you want to be real quiet buy a Hoyt. They are worth every penny! The tec riser bow are really, rally quiet naturally. To compare your bow to your buddys Ultratec is a tough nut to crack. I have a 2001 vortech set at 80 lbs with 450 grain aluminum easton x7's and it is almost whisper quiet.

BDB

Reaction score
I know my bow makes ALOT more noise shooting the 420 grain (finished) arrows than it did for the 620's that I switched from. Very noticable difference. If you are not going to shoot long shots, heavier and slower is much quieter. There is always a trade off !

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I see what you guys are saying. I might try a bit heavier arrow but I just bought a dozen of the Blackhawks (finished they weigh 440gr if I remember right). I'll try all the vibration dampeners first and then if I need to I'll pick up some heavier arrows too.

BDB

Reaction score
Not sure about those arrows, but the ones I use (Gold Tip's) have an internal weighting system to add weight to front and rear. It's pretty slick, I can add about 150 grains (to go from target to hunting) without impacting the spine too much. Mine are a little over spined at the lighter weight but doesn't seem to effect field point flight or groups. At a higher wieght the are still spined OK.

Top Bottom