Quirkey RS 49-425

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Has anyone experianced a change in attitude from their RS 49-425.  I am not sure if it is the heat or what, but my camera unit has all of a sudden dropped its range from 25/30 feet down to around 10/15 feet.  

The other day I was having all kinds of trouble getting it to work in a new position so I put it back where I had it originally.  I put out fresh corn and two days later all the corn is gone, fresh deer tracks everywhere in front of the camera, but no new pictures taken.  The camera was about 10 to 15 feet off the trail.  I've moved it to the next tree up located right on the trail.

I put in fresh batteries, but it still seems a bit quirkey on picking up my movement in front of the sensor and I could not see any noticable difference.  Has anyone else experianced this?  Any suggestions on what it may be?  Thanks.  

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Jon - Same here.  One problem that I solved early in the game was the message inside the battery compartment: "After Install/Replace the Battery, allow 60 seconds for warm-up in OFF position." That means that you can't flick the thing On & Off with a switch on the outside of the enclosure. Also, no one except the manufacture knows what is going on inside the large IC Chip, and there could be an impedance mismatch (or built up capacitance) caused by something we do switching the camera shutter. (who know?)  What I do is unsnap the battery for a while, and start over. The biggest problem so far is that the PIR snaps off one picture after another when the temperature is up around 100 degrees.  All & all the 49-425 makes a good mini cam, but I also plan to unplug the Owl's & use them in an ammo can with the Regent MS20 when I want long range or wide angle shots. In other words, I'll have 3 Owl PF's, 3 mini enclosures with RS 49-425's, and 3 ammo cans with Regent MS20's & lantern batteries.  Kind of like an enclosure for every occasion.
Ammended: Forgot, I also have another  ammo can with holes cut for the mini cam to sit inside for security. That one has the furnace thermostat.

(Edited by Richard Webb at 9:55 pm on July 9, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Jon - Yesterday I planted a Regent MS20 up at the lake, and while using the test light it was also a little quirkey in 90 degree temperatures. It just didn't have the long range that it usually has. Guess, these are the "lazy days of summer" for trail cam users? The MS20 didn't work close to the ground either for some reason? I gave one of the mini cams to my boy to keep in his room. Once in a while he will hide it somewhere in the yard, and I get hit with the flash.  Seems to work pretty good at close range with my 5/8" hole, but wonder how NC Bowhunter is doing with his mounting of the whole PIR enclosure inside his cam?

Jon Bain

Reaction score
My opening is about the same as your's from what I can remember.  It must be the heat of summer as you mentioned.  I checked yesterday on the unit and cut it off for a while to let it rest.  No effect, it still is greatly reduced in distance.  Dog Days is right.  I do wonder how NC's deal is working out.  I am beginning to wonder if my small opening for the PIR is too small.  I may have to pull it out of the woods and use it like your boy does, at least until it gets cooler.

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't think that I'm having any problems with the heat affecting my RS PIR.  The last role I got developed a few weeks ago, came out great.  I picked up deer and even a turkey that were close to 80 feet away.  I put my camera out in the northern mountains of NC, and the temps have been pretty reasonable there.  It doesn't get much hotter than 80s, so I don't have to worry about triple digit temps like some of you.

However, I was quite exited about getting my next role, but when I checked it a couple days ago, the camera had locked up after 3 pics.  This really confused me because I had put the camera up two weeks earlier, and checked it after the first night.  When I checked then, it had taken 2 pics, and then it took a pic of me testing it.  I didn't even touch the camera, but after two weeks it hadn't take another picture.  So it must have locked up after it took a pic of me, which I don't understand because I didn't stay in front of it.  I hadn't heard of anyone having problems with the camera locking up, with the RS 49-425 either.  Oh well, I don't think that the temp was an issue with that, but I have no clue what could have caused it.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Jon - Here is an interesting thread about adjusting the distance from the PIR can to the Fresnal Lens of the RS 49-425:
http://www.tndeer.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum11/HTML/000083.html

Ammended:  We are having a cool 60 degrees day, so I re-aligned the fresnal lens on the mini cam. When I opened up the 5/8" hole to 7/8" not much happened, but when I moved the fresnal lens to the outside of the enclosure I gained 12 feet of reliable range. With this added 1/16" to the focal length the RS motion detector is 100% at 21 feet, and detects motion once in a while at 33 feet. I dare say that another 1/16" should put it out another 15 feet or so. I don't need that much range, so I don't plan to add a spacer behind the fresnal lens.

Doing a walk test at a good pace, and at 21 feet, the 5/8' Diameter hole clicks off the flash when I'm dead center. The 7/8" hole flashes  6 feet before dead center. If the Owl PF has been asleep for a while it may need the 7/8" hole for trail use?

(Edited by Richard Webb at 6:07 pm on July 16, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom