Quock.evening session near home.

Wino

My boys and me went out for a quick rabbit hunt last night. Didn't bag any cottontail but we did kick up this jack. My son likes to eat them so.......blam. I brought it home and cut out the back strapes. Today I cleaned them up and trimmed off all the silver skin. I dry rubbed it with some seasoning salts and pepper then let it sit in the refrigerator for about 1.5 hours. Then I I rubbed some minced garlic on it before dropping it on the bar-b-que. I cooked like I cook venison. Fast on high heat going for rare to medium rare. Came out excellent. Sad news for Jacks. Gonna have to start shooting more.

Wino

TheGDog

Thanks for posting the pic of your boy. I just called my boy in here to show him the pic, so I could try to sell him on the idea of us going out and getting him on a rabbit or two.

(You know how that monkey-see monkey-do stuff can be a great motivator)

MariotheBarber

That looks pretty good, I’ve eaten cottontail but have been wanting to try jackrabbit for a while but wasn’t sure how to cook them..

CA_Blacktail

Looks great! I finally had jackrabbit last year and man I'll tell ya, people have been missing out all these years. Soaked mine in buttermilk and threw it in the slow cooker overnight with lots of herbs and spices. In my opinion it was tastier than pulled pork!

TheGDog

None riverside County is closed to target shooting- nada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, let me re-phrase that... what areas by Menifee can a personally legally hunt? Looking at a map overview of open areas around Menifee, doesn't look like any of the open land areas are large enough that they'd allow shots to be fired.

Last edited:

TheGDog

None riverside County is closed to target shooting- nada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PS... that's essentially ALL of California public lands are technically considered closed to "target shooting", if I recall.

Which is very ironic, since you figure they'd want to be sure that people get good with their rifle before attempting to take game with it. But I get it though, they don't want a bunch of shooting areas all over the place littered with millions of spent cartridges (like "Pidgeon Ridge" used to be in Asuza).

And yet... everybody and their brother has plinked with a .22 at some point while camping, so go figure.

Marianna73

I love rabbits and I got to Reno (Reno area, backcountry) rabbit hunting all the time. I usually make rabbit stew, but I'm gonna start experimenting with some other recipes.

jackrabbit

Good to see you back on the board Marianna. I generally dice jackrabbit and fry it in bacon fat on low/medium heat. You can shotgun hunt at Mendota Wildlife area (near water), and also at the San Jauquin River Gorge just out of Auberry, where the river enters Millerton Lake. I also hunted them with a .22 rimfire there, but I have not been up there for a few years, so I don't know the rules now.

Wino

G-Dog. We have some areas near us where shotgun hunting is legal. Opening day of Dove season, all along the Salt Creek is load with hunters. Also, air rifle is good to go. T

Wino

OH and they are not public lands. The land is owned by someone. But no fence and no signs so its as good as open. I've hunted the area while the farmer worked his field and all he said was make sure I kill the squirrels that are undermining the dirt road causing massive washouts.

Top Bottom