"will you build me a camera?"

gantley

Reaction score
amazing how many buddies you have when you get the first camera built!

despite the ease of making these cameras, i have noticed i have a lot of 'buddies' that are not willing to make their own.  my first camera is like a child to me.  the second one was a 12 vdc mod that i let a guy talk me out of.  the third one i really liked because it was 9 vdc.  the next seven have been for my 'buddies' at work.  

have any of you noticed the same trend?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
not really, i have built one cam for a guy at work,and 1 for a freind,thats it.

gizz

Reaction score
I've found the same thing around here, I made a few for them but no more. If they want them they can build them or get the new $100 specials at Wally world. One freind wanted me to build one for him and asked how much it would cost. I told him i could do it for $175 or he could build his own for a little under $100. He said "heck you can buy em at Wal Mart for $120" and to that i replied "then you better get movin".

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't know a single soul who's built one except one of my cousins helped me with rigging up a few enclosures.  I've sold a few to misc people too, some for costs and some for $175 (all had TLC555, 2 stage timers, this was b-4 the JoeD, Brian, Hamitoe timers)  I don't sell any anymore.

Right now I've got 4 "Loaners" for close friends & relatives but I only loan them out during the "Off Season", no horn times, he he, and will be collecting them all any time now.

I've also wondered how many of us know others who've actually built them, like I said, I don't know anybody else who has......

Tinhorn

buckmarkhnter

Reaction score
I  showed a guy I know how to put one together, he has built several for himself since then.  

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I also showed a friend this site, and helped him with questions. I think he has built around 4 now? I have yet to sell one, but have considered it in the past.

kfen

Reaction score
Last year me and a buddy  built 17 out of those we ended up with 5 for us. I do not mind making for some , because they do things for me. But some people that ask I barly know how they are.    

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I have had several ask me to biuld one for them and I always say "I'll show you how to biuld one and help you but I'm not doing it all for you" I even give them this web address and they still don't try.. I have had two buddy's take me up on it and they can biuld thier own now. "Give a man a fish he will eat for a day, but teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life".

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I have helped my buddy at work build one, and he is now an addict as well, and will be building more of his own, in fact, he is now helping a buddy of his build two.  I have people that want me to build them for "cost", where I would "donate" my time....I have since reconsidered, I love tinkering around with these things, but the time involved for free isn't worth it, especially since I know I will have to fix the darn thing everytime something breaks, or answer a million questions if he would end up getting "falsies". I can't part with my camera's, each one is special to me.

Beerdonga

Reaction score
Ive pretty much got the same problem as most of you, once I tell somebody that I made my own game tracker they all want me to build them one.  Right now ive got five and havent let myself let go of one of them.

MBullism

Reaction score
I hooked my brother in law up, and now he's hooked (and self sufficient, I might add).  I made the "mistake" of giving one as a birthday gift at a large party held at the local R&G.  I didn't have a moments peace for the rest of the afternoon, mostly guys A-FREEKIN-MAZED that I didn't want to build them one.  I offered this website, I offered help debugging, but I just don't want the head aches.  I bet none of those guys has gotten past go...

thehairlessone

Reaction score
I did something, it might help you guys who are always getting asked to make them. I made up a parts list- with parts numbers where to get it , how much it cost etc. A few guys asked me to help them make one and I said I would be happy to do the wiring but they would have to finish the box. So i gave them the parts list and I never heard another word from most of them! One friend came over twice and I showed him how to do it. Another friend asked me to make one at my cost and I reluctantly agreed now it has been sitting around for a month and a half or so and I havent seen a dime. The nice thing is, even if he doesnt want it I will just keep it for myself.

Another friend wanted me to build him one and he would pay me later but i told him I cant  because I stilll havent gotten my money from the other guy and I would have to put up my own money to build him one for now. I wouldnt mind helping them but there is no reason they cant get their own stuff together.

Another friend asked me to make him one, get this: I told him if he wanted one with the date it would be about $100 to do it and he acted like he got kinda mad. I said hey, they are cheaper! Not FREE!

I was working on one today that I am going to donate to my local archery club for them to raffle off.

rick

bat

Reaction score
I've built 5, working on no. 6.  Sold one with a promise to buy on another.  I tell all of them where and how they can do it.  Introduced about 6 people to the site and tell everybody that's interested in building them about the site.  Two of my buddies have built them...one has 8, the other 4.  BTY my one sale just brought his back...loaned it to a friend (like I didn't tell him not too).  He dropped the camera and it didn't want to work right so he fools with pulling on the wires....the rest of the story...I had to rewire the camera.  DON'T LOAN YOUR CAMERAS OUT TO JUST ANYBODY!  There I said it I feel so much better now hehe.  bat

Bob R

Reaction score
I have built 3 for "friends".  One, for a guy that did some cabinet work for me, I did a camera in exchange for labor.  He provided all the parts, my labor for his labor.  The second one for a friend that brought me some furniture from Dallas to Arkansas.  Again, labor for labor.  The third for a friend that is doing me some other favors.  Also labor for labor.  On all 3, they have supplied all parts.  The #1 and #2 guys have bugged me over and over when they can not get the cams working.  They get rough with them and break a wire, or some other thing, and then come whining.  One guy came over a couple of weeks ago complaining that his camera wouldn't work, and when I checked it out, the battery was dead.  He said that he "forgot" to check the battery.

That is why I WILL NOT build any more for others.  They think that the camera's come with a lifetime free warranty.  I have better things to do than babysit these guys that can't even check the batteries in their cams.

LW

Reaction score
I have built 3 this spring and summer a 35mm and digital for myself and a 35mm at cost for a friend who hunts the same lease with the understanding he show me his buck pics. he has brought it back twice in 2 months first he unplugged the led and second time he couldn't load the film in the camera, cost me a roll of film, havn't seen a pic yet.....Just ain't worth it.

thehairlessone

Reaction score
I did trade one to a taxidermist friend of mine. That was one trade I was happy to make! He is going to do a free mount for me with the animal of my choice. The hard part is getting something worth mounting.

rick

MBullism

Reaction score
The one I gave as a birthday present had the following warranty attached:

CAM SETUP AND WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Camera-
1)  Load film.  400 speed is best (for nightshots) 200 will work.  24 exposures is standard, don’t use 36 exposure rolls in cold weather.  Check display to make sure there is a  “1” showing.  The display always shows one more than the number of pics.
2)  Turn cam  on, there is a slide switch on the front next to the lens.  Check the battery status in the display.
3)  Set “forced flash”.  Press the long button next to the display once.  A lightning bolt will appear in the display.
4)  Check the date display on the back panel to make sure time and date display are correct.  The battery for the date is inside the door.  It should be good for years.

Housing-
1)  Make sure red switch is down/off, make sure black switch is up/”T” for test.  Note the black switch has a center position.  This is neither test nor cam.
2)  Connect camera into housing, make sure of positive connection..
3)  Place camera in housing.  Take care not to scratch the housing glass with the camera body.   Align cam with housing openings, and secure in place with foam blocks.  Take foam strip and insert between flash and lens, check for clearances…  tucking it in with a knife point works good.
4)  Insert desiccant packet (moisture absorbing crystals), be sure not to block cam display.
5)  Close lid.  Attach to tree. Lock as tight as possible.  This ensures that the latch cannot be opened. Minor adjustments are possible using sticks between housing and tree to align. Two to three feet above the ground works good.  Try not to setup facing into a low morning or afternoon sun.

Test and Arm-
1)  Switch red switch up/on.  LED will come on and stay on for approximately 30 seconds while the motion detector “warms up”.
2)  When the LED goes out, move around your desired area and note where the unit is “sensing” you.  Adjust unit on tree as necessary.
3)  Approach unit, stand to the side, when LED goes out switch black switch from up/”T” for test to down/”C” for camera.  The unit is now locked and loaded.  Any trigger to the motion detector will now fire the camera.  It is good practice to walk in front of the unit and take a test pic before you leave to make sure you’ve set up correctly.  Better to waste one pic than come back in a week or two and find out you forgot something..  Everybody does…

I usually put the whole thing together at home and only have the “test and arm” part to do in the woods….

Warranty Information:

It don’t work, you bring it back, we’ll make it right.  All parts and labor are fully guaranteed until you read item #1 under “camera” above.  After that you on your own.  If a part is found to be defective, you buy the part, I’ll put it in (when I‘m damn good and ready, or the wife let‘s me).  This offer is good for as long as you own the cam, or until I’m dead, or until your dead or piss me off, whichever comes first.  If the cam gets stolen I’ll feel bad, that’s it.  Any injuries suffered while pursuing any activity directly or indirectly associated with the use of this equipment shall fall under the school of hard knocks.  The user shall hold harmless everyone, everywhere, for every reason.  Period.

Our information hotline (555-555-5555) is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, restricted to the sixth Saturday of every month between 3 and 3:10 p.m.  If you have any questions in the ownership or operation of your homebrew trail camera,

Please, please, please note that this is not a commercial enterprise.  If anyone asks where you got the unit, please refer them to jessseshuntingpage.com.  All the required information is there, and infinite help is available for the asking.

----

Hasn't been a problem, LOL

Top Bottom