rabbit recipes

dhodsdon

Reaction score
First you piss on them to get the dirt off.  Then marinate them in sweet and sour sauce and barbecue them.

Fubar

Reaction score
Dhodsdon  Wouldnt it be better to wash them off with water?                    Fubar

db 183

Reaction score
OH I GET IT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY....

GROW UP...

Ponscm

Reaction score
Baste in butter and garlic, wrap in bacon strips, wrap entire rabbit in aluminum foil, and slow cook over the b-b-q.  Not the healthiest preparation method but oh so good as an appetizer!

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Here's a good recipe.:mmm  There is a lot of preparation but that just means you have to drink more beers while cooking.  I've used it on several types of game & have yet to be disappointed.

BODIO’S JUGGED HARE

One Jackrabbit, cleaned, skinned and jointed; liver and heart saved
One cup dry red wine
flour
3 tablespoons butter
½ lb. Bacon chopped into ½” squares
1 celery rib
1 large onion, halved and chopped
¼ lb. Or more of sliced mushrooms
1 or 2 shallots sliced in rings
3 cups of beef stock
¼ teaspoon powdered mace
5 or 6 cloves
bouquet garni of bay leaf, thyme and parsley
1 garlic clove crushed
juice of 1 lemon, plus 2 strips of shredded rind
1 ½ teaspoons melted butted mixed with equal amount of flour
port wine to taste
2 teaspoons currant jelly
brown sugar to taste

Marinate jackrabbit for at least 24 hours turning occasionally.  Dry pieces thoroughly, dust with flour, and brown in 3 tablespoons of butter.  Place the prepared meat in a covered metal casserole or dutch oven.
In a large skillet fry the pieces of bacon until a good bit of fat appears, then scrape the bacon to one side and add onion, shallots, celery and mushrooms.  Brown until they are limp and add to the rabbit.  Cut up liver and heart, brown, and add with the bacon to the casserole.
Heat up the beef stock.  Add mace, cloves, bouquet garni, garlic, lemon juice and rind.  Pour over the jackrabbit. Cover.  Place in an oven preheated to 350F and cook for two hours, keeping it covered.  Then turn heat down to 225F and cook for at least three more hours.  Check the jackrabbit occasionally – the meat should be nearly falling off the bones.  If it is becoming dry, add stock or dry wine.
When done, remove the jackrabbit with a slotted spoon and keep warm.  Put the casserole on the stove over low heat and add the thoroughly mixed butter and flour to the pot and stir.  Add a sufficiency of port and stir.  Do not bring to a boil.  Add currant jelly and stir.  Taste.  Add brown sugar if needed.  When you have a smooth sauce, pour it over the jackrabbit and serve.
***This is a variation of traditional jugged hare on Maj. Hugh Bertie Cambell Pollard’s version from the Gun Room Guide of 1930***

It's only 9:30 and I'm starvin' !

Modocer

Reaction score
Vienlage

2 cups vinegar
4 cups water
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cumin
1.5 tblsp salt
lots of garlic

Marinate rabbit (or other meat)overnight
cook (I like it fried) but baking works

It is only going be as good as your rabbit. ie go buy a good farm raised frier rabbit. I don't think wild bunnies are that good.

gantley

Reaction score
The last bunny the wife fixed was like chicken fried.  

One bunny de-boned.  Give the dawg the ribs too.
Cut loins and leg quaters into med size pieces.
Hammer out with a meat tenderizer mallet to about 3/8 to 1/4 inch.  
Dredge in flower
Dredge in egg wash (we used two eggs and a touch of milk).
Dgrege in flower.
Fry until golden brown.

I think there are only two things you can do wrong with cooking rabbit.  One is under cooking.  I have never had this problem.  The other is over cooking.  The over cooking make for a happy dawg too...

Good luck.

Corndog

Reaction score
I thought it was funny dhodsdon.  It ain't old folk humor though.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom