rabbits at sanjacinto

stickman

Reaction score
Anyone ever hunt rabbits at san jacinto refuge? I called the refuge but they were unable to tell me if it was any good or not. Anybody have any suggestions wher else I might try?

gtbait

Reaction score
Stickman I've hunted Rabbits there often. There aren't many, or weren't at times. Life cycle and all. The river bed holds a few, yet they're tough to jump. We usually walked North toward the pass. The terrain is more Rabbit friendly. The area to the East, where the Pepper Tree grove sits is off limits to hunting, yet if you walk in early enough in the morning you'll find Rabbits enjoying breakfast on the buds in the grass. Go on up and over the pass. It's a long walk but there are usually a few creeping around in mid-day. Once it warms up try calling Coyotes. You can see them coming from a long distance at the top of the pass. Often in family groups.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
gtbait,

Unless the regs have changed at San Jacinto WA, you can't hunt yotes or bobcats there. We've been hammering Tom the manager for years to allow it but he won't budge. And I've seen some nice yotes out there dove and duck hunting.

Stickman, you after jacks or cottontails?

stickman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I prefer to get cotton's, but at this point I wouldn't mind a few jacks.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Stickman, check out Jackrabbit Trail Rd which is just east of San Jacinto WA, it's an old road the goes from near  the concrete plant on Gilman Springs Rd. northeast to almost I-10, the road is gated off there. There are a bunch of hills in there with mostly cottontails.

There are some other places near there you can hunt if they haven't posted it yet. Ask around  if you see any farmers out or DFG peeps.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Stickman,
Did you get out to San Jacinto this past weekend? How did you do?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom