Rabbits

redneckfowler1

Reaction score
This will be my first rabbit season and I was wondering if any one had any tips on how or where to hunt.  I have a rem 10/22 and a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge.
thanks

shaginator

Reaction score
The south section of Los Padres National Forest is not too far from Ventura. Sorry I don't know much more about that area. I'm sure others will chime in; in the meantime, check with the DFG or the Ranger in that district. Good luck and happy hunting!

HackneyBob

Reaction score
Any body have any ideas for local Rabbit hunting in the Vista,Escondidio area?
Thanks

Thonzberry

Reaction score
HackneyBob, Welcome to Jesse's the best place on the web. We gota lot of great peeps on here with all kinds of info on all sorts of stuff.  I don't hunt down that way just thought I would pop in and give a welcome aboard, so hang on a few and someone will have some info for you. Good Luck

shaginator

Reaction score
Hey there HackneyBob, Thonz is right about this website on all counts. Welcome!

I'm not familiar with your area, but Cleveland National Forest comes to mind... I believe Hwy 74 runs through the middle of one of its districts but that's about all I can come up with. There are most likely plenty of folks in your local area that use the board here and it's just a matter of time before they find this thread and chime in.

In the meantime, grab a seat and join us in our discussions and bs'ing :smile-big-blue:

HackneyBob

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome This is my fisrt Hunting Forum and I belive I have been blessed with a good one. I'm just getting back in to hunting after about 10 years off most of that time spent over seas in the USMC. Any way thanks again and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

songdog

Reaction score
Try heading out into the Nat'l Forest and look for some of the dirt forest service roads.  Make sure you scout the first and last hour or so of the day... other times they just seem to disappear.

We have a lot of fun up this way walking these same roads late in the afternoon with a bow and arrow for the cottontails.  You'll probably run across some nice deer and quail territory while doing this too.

HackneyBob

Reaction score
Thanks Songdog, Me and my buddy are going this weekend  again last weekend we did get one Cotton however this weekend I was thinking about Lake Perris State Recreation Area? Any body tryed it?

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
HackneyBob,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. regarding Lake Perris I went there a few years ago for quail but didn't seen a damn thing. All I saw was a dove. Lots a squirrls though. Good luck.

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 5:45 pm on July 16, 2002)

MarinePMI

Reaction score
HackneyBob,

I live in Vista, but I usually head out to El Centro (to brave the heat).  The rabbit hunting there is outstanding, but requires some long shots due to the flat terrain.  There are a couple of areas though where you could spot and stalk.  I think WildBirdHunter and I will be heading out there this weekend.  If you and your buddy want to tag along, I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't cause any heartburn with WBH.  We'll also be meeting up with AMMOe, who's feeling the need to blood his new (to him) 5mmm Craig Rem. 592.  Should be a good time if you're interested, but it is a loooooong day.  Let me know...

(Edited by MarinePMI at 10:10 am on July 16, 2002)

Pasco

Reaction score
HackneyBob,

Unless Perris has changed their rules, I believe you can't hunt there except from the first Saturday after Labor Day thru January 31.  Last number I had for them is: (909) 654-0580.  San Jacinto WA is open as far as I know, shotgun only.  Good luck.

yotegetter

Reaction score
I've been hearing alot about San Jacinto. I think I might want to try that area. Does anyone know how to get there. I'm in the Long Beach area.

HackneyBob

Reaction score
MarinePMI  hey I noticed your tag line. Are you still in the USMC and are they open yet for Hunting?

HackneyBob

Reaction score
SoCalxJR You are right about Perris however I found out that we can Hunt the Wild Life area off Davis @miles back by the Permit station.

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Bob,

Nope, just the reserves now.  No, the base isn't open to civies yet, but there's a new CG (Commanding General) who's supposed to be an "avid outdoorsman".  It may change soon, and be open to the public in the near future.  Too bad they don't allow predator hunting, 'cause there are a boat load of coyotes there, as well as some gigantic bobcats!

HackneyBob

Reaction score
I know I was on the base from 1998 to 1996 with 3rd tracks. I havn't hunted Coyotes yet but sounds fun. What about Pig? I have up in the Bay area anything down here?

Maverick

Reaction score
Ok lake perris is open for upland game hunting during season for rabbits, quial, pheasents and dove. Firearem arms may only be discharged from sept 1 till jan 31. This is the same for the San Jacinto Wild Life area off Davis . So it is bow hunting only right now.

Pasco

Reaction score
Chris,

Where did you get that info?  I'm not doubting you, but I didn't get that from the public land hunting booklet.  Was wondering why that isn't printed or maybe your source is making up the rules as he goes.  Again, not questioning what you said I just find it interesting when agencies mix their stories.  Thanks for the information. :)

Maverick

Reaction score
SoCalxjr,
I found this out after I pulled up at the wild life station and singed in. I was carrying my shot gun up to the fence a saw a sign that stated that. So since the dfg station is right there I drove up. the doors were locked but there was a printed page of the regs. the regs said nothing about the dates for firearms. When I got home a called the office and they indeed told me that firearms were not allowed till Sept 1..

(Edited by coveybustinchris at 2:22 pm on July 17, 2002)

Top Bottom