radio shack pir trips after delay

fadetoblack76

Reaction score
hooked  up all the pir wires. now unit trips after 10 second delay on test mode.  i have another pir that is not wired and this  doesent happen. did  i fry something?any suggestions would help.thanks

bat

Reaction score
welcome to the forum fadetoblack76, give a little more detail.  What do you mean when you say the unit trips after 10 second delay?  Is it wired to the #2 pin?  Are you letting it warm up for 60 seconds before switching from test to cam?  When it trips do you mean that the camera flashes after 10 seconds in test?  Shouldn't do this if that is what it's doing.  Don't think you have fried anything but maybe got it connected a little wrong.  Give a little more detail as to how you have it wired and what exactly it is doing and somebody in here will figure it out....they are great troubleshooters in here.  Thanks, bat

fadetoblack76

Reaction score
i dont have cam yet. with led hooked up to "test" spots on dpdt switch, it lights up after the sensor exit delay(10 sec.) . when led is hooked up to cam wires and switched over to cam  it doesn't light up. yes its wired to # 2 pin. wired exactly like the drawing shows.(i think) acts as if  something is moving after exit delay. definatly  not because i  tried it the same way with another sensor just as you  get it and it doesnt "trip" until i walk in front of it. does cam need to be  hooked up. i wouldn't think so in test position.

thanks alot guys

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'm still unclear on what you've done

but if you're hooking up the LED to the relay contacts instead of a camera, the LED should NOT come on.....there should be no volts of any kind going to the camera from the PIR so the LED can't come on at all. (volts going to the camera from the PIR can Toast the camera !)

Or

did you mean you hooked up an LED to where teh relay coil terminal's would connect?

Tinhorn

fadetoblack76

Reaction score
alright the main problem is this. with everything hooked up as in drawing.(on jesses main page just above  "materials  Required"). I turn to chime,led comes on stays on. i turn to alarm, after 10 second  exit delay, light comes on and stays on. i guess i thought there  should be power at the plug to the camera. I now realize it just triggers the camera by completing the shutter circuit. thanks alot

fadetoblack76

Reaction score
is there a way to test pir to see if i overheated something when I soldered it?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I guess the best way to test the PIR is to put it back to Original Condition and see if it Chimes and Alarms properly.

Double check and be sure you are connected to Pin 2 and there are no solder globs shorting out to pin 1 or 3 (I think pins 1 & 3 both connect to Batt (+) and the LED would stay on if pin 2 is shorted to one of these places, that condition may or may not kill the PIR)

- Fingers Crossed - Tinhorn

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
My first camera hooked up like the drawing on Jesse's page to pin #2 of the large IC, I HAD to use the PIR in the "chime" mode, it wouldn't work in the "alarm" mode.  I now hook all of them up using "TINHORN'S" new method using the pin on the little IC, and I now use the RS pir in "ALARM" mode, and get a built in delay.

fadetoblack76

Reaction score
hey thanks for all the help guys. i didn't realize you had to use it in chime mode. and it had a 30 second  warm-up. still in alarm mode it has 10 second exit delay and then light comes on. is this normal

Top Bottom