Rain mode usefullness?

Billinoregon

Reaction score
Looking at rangefinders for mule deer hunting with BPCR and iron-sighted rifles, and was considering the Bushnell Scout for its size and weight. I was a little troubled however that it lacks a rain mode, as it rains here in Oregon. Then I started hearing about the Leica 800, and got pretty interested in it (price being the main hurdle). But on Jesse's rangefinder comparison page, it says the Leica also lacks a rain mode. Just how important is this? I want a light, compact rangefinder that will be accurate to 400-500 yards or so and that I can use in all weather conditions. Just wht is rain mode, and how important is it if the weather is lousy?

marmot

Reaction score
Wish I could be more help but here is all I know.

My Bushnell compact 600 has a rain mode that works fine. It is most accurate, in any mode, out to about 400 yards, after that it is hard to tell if you are hitting the exact object you are aiming at or the tree 100 yards behind it. That is to say, it is not so much a distance accuracy problem as it is an aiming accuracy problem. I usually try to get three good laser shots at the animal before I shoot, regardless of range, as a double check. I'm pretty happy with it and would buy another one like it if it were lost.

The long range finders are good for planning stalks based on range but something that is good at 400 yards is all that is needed for shooting.

My hunting buddy has the Leica 800 and has used it in snow successfully. I think they are coming out with a 1000 yard model.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom