Rain problems?

max

Reaction score
Three days of rain and cold mornings...Anyone have problems with rain drops on the outside lens of housing..I probablly should make a cover shield to prevent this..Just a thought?:confused-yellow:

Zeke

Reaction score
Wonder how RainX would do? Maybe that along with a hood. I know RainX works for keeping your scope from fogging.   Z

abedford

Reaction score
Yes, I've had this trouble as well.  The rain droplets on the glass in front of the lens almost seem to reflect the flash back into the camera as well - I used to get white-out blotches on my photos during the rain.  I've since added a "rain hood" to both of my cameras:

I took a plastic flower pot and cut the bottom off it (so it is now a tapered cylinder).  I then cut this cylinder in half along it's length - the result is a shape similar to the bill of a hat.  I epoxy-ed this over the camera lens and painted it camo.  Works great - no more rain drops.  You do have to limit the length of the rain shield - my first batch of photos showed the edges of the shield, so I had to trim it back on one camera.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
aBedFord,

how far above the Lens is your flower pot and how far does it stick out?

funny, the 2nd one I build, I cut off a flower pot and did the same thing, only I left the ring whole.  I thought it would serve a dual purpose, the rain guard, but also be a "Support" for when I layed the unit face down to open up the back, so the lens, etc would stay out of the dirt.

Also, what did you do with the flowers/dirt so your wife wouldnt find out it was gone?   I drove about 10 miles into the woods and turned over a log and put it there,  I could hardly tell anyting was under there but never know about my wife, she may still find it......

Thanx

Tinhorn

abedford

Reaction score
My rain shield only sticks out about 3" and the center of the shield is probably about 3" above the lens.  My second camera had the shield quite a bit tighter to the lens and it showed in the pics, so I trimmed off about 3/4" and fixed the problem.

I hand walked the flower pot remnants to the dumpster, bribed each of my daughters/witnesses with cash, and camo painted the part I stuck to the housing to hide what it used to be.

It took my wife about 4 seconds to recognize where my nifty rain shield came from.  No big deal - she'll let me back in the house in a few weeks.

springdrl

Reaction score
How are you guys keeping dew from forming on the lens? Will fog-proof liquids or sprays do the trick?

Thanks.

Top Bottom