Rainier Rescue: Hiker Gave Life To Save Others

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I know what you mean... some times not even family is that selfless

He"insisted on being kind of the guy on the bottom so he would take the brunt of the cold". I don't know if this is heroic or stupid. Why not take turns with the other guy?? I don't know, maybe if the other would sacrifice a little more the 3 of them will be alive...Only they know...

jackrabbit

Reaction score
when my 24 y/o kid and I were stuck out in the cold overnight, no rotation allowed as far as I was concerned, no way, no how!! I kept waking him up to make sure he was still ok during the night -- this was not life or death, but if it were, then it would have been even more of a no rotation decision in my book. Being younger, he may have been able to tolerate more extreme temps than me, but I would never allow him to get the chance to test that theory!! If it was my wife, and my friend, I would want to insure my wife had the best chance of survival by sacrificing myself and not losing heat during a rotation; and I would also figure that my buddy on the top would also have a much higher chance of dying than my wife in the middle of the two of us. Yeah, maybe all three of us could make it with rotation, but I would damn sure take the more likely plan for my wife to survive by not having a rotation. The wife would have lost body heat during the rotation, so the way I see it, both men decided that the wife was going to be the one to survive.

Top Bottom