Raining Ducks

mudwalker

Reaction score
A Duck Bombardment In Arkansas
Associated Press
Thursday, December 6, 2001
©2001 Associated Press

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP) -- Workers from White's Mobile Home Supply were hanging axles under a trailer when lightning struck nearby. They came out from under the home only to be greeted by a sight they'll never forget, owner Ron White said.

"About 20 to 30 seconds after the lightning struck, ducks started falling from the sky," White said. "It was like tennis shoes falling out of the sky and then they realized they were ducks."

Lightning can hit ducks, but it is rare, said Arkansas Game and Fish Commission waterfowl biologist Mike Checkett.

"When birds are migrating they typically avoid flying in thunderstorms, but if caught in a storm any lighting strike in close proximity could cause death," he said.

The workers collected 20 mallards that fell in the mobile home park. The next day some still remained on the roofs of nearby homes.

"I think this is something they'll remember for the rest of their lives," White said.

©2001 Associated

Jay

Reaction score
That's what happens when I fire off a mortar round with my 3 1/2 inch 'berg.

Jay

Reaction score
I figure there's 100 pellets in a 3 1/2 inch mortar round so assuming a 25% miss percentage, 75 ducks is reasonable.

:shootin:

TealMan

Reaction score
If that happened here, I'm sure some of you guys would only pick up the greenheads. :laffin-yellow:

Top Bottom