Ramsey timer

Rooter

Reaction score
In Jesses Homebrew links he lists the Ramsey companies UT5 Universal Timer Kit for $8.95.  Has anyone tried this kit?  How does it compare to joed,hamiltoe or brian timers?  Thanks,

Rooter

Here is a link

davered1

Reaction score
rooter,

chips available here are in my opinion better.they are built for this application so have some keen features(counter,refresh) give one of them a try before the ramsey

Lew

Reaction score
I have tried several of the timers developed on this site, tinhorn, JoeD, Marty's, GunDocc, and the Ramsey kit.  Ramsey is easy to put together with good instructions and will work with any PIR.  However, it will only fires your camera.  Right now, to upgrade my first camera I built using the Ramsey, I am working on combining two Ramsey timers to get a time delay feature along with the camera relay timer.   Currently waiting for some parts to be delivered and if successful, I will post how it works.  After saying all of that,  I have put two cameras together with Hamiltoes technology and I would rate that the best option of all available.  Good instructions, works very well, compact, and the combined PIR and electronics is $40.  There are a lot of talented people making contributions here which leads to a large number of combinations and options, most with great results.  Lew

Rooter

Reaction score
Lew, what is the difference?  If I am interested in a setup that will take a pic and then will not fire again until a selectable time is up what am I looking for?  I would want the time to be the only factor keeping the camera from firing.  I do not want continuous motion to reset the whole thing.  Example: a doe walks in front of camera, picture is taken and 15 second timer starts. Then several more deer pass by with no action by setup.  At end of 15 second time camera is reset and ready to go.  What am I looking for?  I believe ffrom what i have read in other threads that it sounds like the Rs-PIR works best this way, however the MS20 with a special kind of timer will do the same.  How do the homebrew setups work?

(Edited by Rooter at 11:30 am on Mar. 15, 2002)

Lew

Reaction score
Rooter,  I am probably only telling you thinks that you already know, but the PIR pulse is very short and not long enough to fire a camera.  A timer is need to close the relay for a few seconds to fire the camera.  If this is the only timer you have, then you can get a whole roll of pictures taken up on one deer.  A second possibility is that that PIR keeps the timer and relay activiated and for several minutes and in this case some cameras lock up.  To avoid these two problems, you need a scond timer to deactiviate the system a a period of time.  The tinhorn timer,the JoeD timer and Marty's timer all do this and Hamiltoes unit also.  If you feel you don't need the second timer then the Ramsey is fine, however, if you want the added feature then the other timers area a good option.  Lew

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I have not looked at the ramsey timer.
But from an economic standpoint, if you have to put (2) of them together to work correctly you are already behind. I have been using JoeD's timers, and the cost of chip and components is half of that.
If you use a RS Pir you can add $25.00 to that figure.
if you use the amazon 7783 PIR and JoeD's or Brians chip it should cost you less then $25.00 for a real nice compact functional unit.
Besides, I am more inclined to help support the members of the board whenever possible. JoeD, Brian, And Hamiltoe have done an outstanding job of making components for us to use.
JMHO

Top Bottom