Range Day Finally

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Made it out to the range yesterday to enjoy the spring weather and smell of burning gunpowder.

First up was the Sako A3 .30-06 to check zero with my run of the mill Accubond load running about 2950 fps.

I'm never ever selling this rifle, and the grankids had better be nice to me when I'm old and decrepit or it goes in the box with me.

Next up was the newest score - Sako 75 Finnlight in .260 Remington. I traded my .300 win mag for it. I threw on a Bushnell 3200 I had laying around, rolled up some book loads and gave it a go.

Right off the bat it shot just about everything well - 120 gr. Pro-hunters, 120 gr. TSX's, and 130 gr. Accubonds. Best groups:

The accubond was pushing just over 2700 fps..
While described as a girl's or kid's cartridge, I wouldn't hesitate to use either of those rounds on any deer or antelope. I'm sure a Tejon pig wouldn't like them either. I can probably get a bit more pop out of them, but with the 21" barrel I won't hope for blazing speeds. The sectional density of the 6.5 more than makes up for the modest velocities. I'll prolly put a 6x36 loopy on it and a Mcmillan edge on it in the future to take about a pound off of the 7lb. 6 oz weight it's at right now. Sweet little rifle..

Finally got to shoot the semi-custom Model 7.

Probably going to be a bit more finicky. I loaded up lots of rounds with IMR 4350, and it didn't like a one of them. A little more bettah was IMR 4007 ssc under the 140 gr. Tipped TSX for about 3,000 fps. It's a good start, but I'll try some RL 19 and H4831 sc next.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Bout time you got out there and burned some powder. Now you need to get after some targets that aren't just standing still for ya!

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Quick check of zero today for Tejon - virtually the same results. The 7mm saum is heaving those Tipped TSX's right at 3,000 fps. The .260 is spitting the TSX's at just under 2800. Not screamng, but the Model 7 has a 22" barrel, and the Sako a 21" tube.

That will do until I have more time to mess around later this coming summer.

arizona hunter

Reaction score
Nice shooting, and very handsome rifles. It sure is a great feeling when you load your own and get nice groups with the bullets & powders of your choice.

Like you I have a 30.06 and while I don't have a 260 Rem I do have a 6.5 X 55 Swede. Man, those .264 bullets are terrific. Mine likes 120 Barnes XLC and 129 SST. They both shot to the same POI.

Top Bottom