Rangefinders

WISJIM

Reaction score
I want to get a range finder and am thinking about either the nikon 800 or bushnel 800 or the bushnel scout. I want to use it for bow hunting and rifle hunting and want it to range a deer size animal out to 500 yards. I recently aquired glasses and hear that the bushnel was more user friendly with glasses on. I like the size of the scout and that its low range is 10 yards and it seems like its size is great for bowhunting situations. Can anyone help me with my decision. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gizz

Reaction score
WISJIM - I just got the scout model and like it, especially the very small size and versatility as far as it ranging from 10 to 700 yards. Deer size animals though can only be ranged out to, say, 300 yards - trees out to 570 yards, buildings out to 700 yards. I've been messing around with it and have had no problems ranging trees out to 400 yards. It also has the scan mode for a continuosly changing ranges. I've never used any of the others.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Gizz,

Can you fill in some of the unknowns on the Scout rangefinder?

Inaudible operation:  Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Distance Readout: Meters, yards or both. Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Automatic shut-off, battery saver:  Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Model Number: Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Shock Resistant: Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Objective Diameter (mm): Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Exit Pupil diameter (mm Unknown at this time, anyone know out there?

Eye Relief (mm): Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Laser Beam Divergence: Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Tripod Mount: Unknown at this time, anyone know?

Thanks Gizz

gizz

Reaction score
Spectr17 - Here's what I know:
Inaudible? Yes, no noise at all - nothing, nada!

Readout? Both Yards and meters (user selectable)

Auto shutoff? Yes, after 6 seconds. (Wish it was about 12 seconds).

Model Number? 20-0001 (I believe there is only one scout)

Shock Resistance? Unknown although the unit seems very well put together with a rubberish coating(nice to grip). Claim is for water resistance not waterproof but at 6.8oz the unit is extremely light and seems as though it'd take a good fall - I'm not testing this though :smile-blue

Objective Diameter? Unknown (would it be 24mm since the power is 6X and the exit pupil is 4mm?) 24/6 = 4mm?

Exit Pupil? 4mm(decent!)

Eye Relief? 20mm (Has a rubber ring that can fold away for eyeglasses.

Laser beam Divergence? Unknown (duh, what is this?)

Tripod mount? No. this thing is only the size of the palm of your hand honestly. I have small hands but can almost touch my thumb and middle finger together around it. But i see no way for a tripod mount.

Some more stuff from the spec sheet:
Size: 1.5x4x2.75 inches
Accuracey: +/- 1 yard
magnification: 6X
Display: LCD
power source: 3V lithium
FOV: 320' at 1000yards
Modes: Standard, Scan(works nice!), and >150yard
          (has no rain mode)

Things I noticed while playing around with it. Keep in mind i have no prior experience with these at all so this stuff may be the same with all ranger's:

The unit is very quick(less than 2 secs) to give back a distance. Depends on how far but nevertheless seems quick to me.

The scan mode is very nice and effective. Allows you to sweep while watching the distance change as you go.

When unable to range an object do to size/distance of object i found it easy to range the ground next to the object to get an approximate reading. Of course I wouldn't want to make a shot based upon this but it does give a good idea of the distance.

Switching modes is very easy:
  1. standard - just push the power button
  2. scan - hold power button for 3 seconds and hold in to while scanning.
  3. >150 yards - simply press the mode button (on side of unit)
  4. meters yards - press and hold mode button for 2 seconds then let go. Unit goes from YD(yards) to M(meters) and vice versas.

Power/Range button when the unit is in your palm is directly under your index finger. The mode button is an the side of the unit.

There is not light(backlight) so if it's too dark to look out of the monocular then it's also to dark to see the LCD display. It is a little difficult reading the LCD display at times. The user sheet says "The Scout's LCD display incorporates illuminated indicators that advise you when the laser is active and when the battery charge is low"....but there seems to be no illumination to me.

That's all there is to the unit from what I can tell. I paid $278 from eagleoptics.com but have seen them for $269 from http://www.holewall.com after i bought mine of course.
I was gonna get the sport model and save some money but i wanted something very small and this fit the bill perfectly - for me anyways.
Hope this helps. Anything else you want to know let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

(Edited by gizz at 9:10 pm on Aug. 19, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Gizz.

Beam divergance is how tight the laser beam stays when targetting. It's usually expressed in degrees. A tighter laser beam is better for getting a reading way out there. Bushnells have a bigger beam than say the Leica 800 so you have to be careful when lasering targets, you could be reading the tree near the deer and not the deer itself.

One last request. Does the Scout have a target quality indicator in the LCD? BY that I mean is there a bar graph or something that shows you're getting a good reading?

Also, what does the unit come with, neckstrap? op book?  case?

Is the battery easy to get to and change? Any model number on that 3 v lithium?

That's all I can think of for now.:toothles

gizz

Reaction score
Spectr,
No Target Quality/Confindence indicator that I can see.
Comes with a Cordura  type case that looks to be able to clip onto your belt. Also has a simple strap for around your neck I suppose.
The battery is a CR2 and is fairly easy to change. You need a coin to turn the batt lid.

Phew, i think I've already written more than Bushnell did about the scout.

WISJIM

Reaction score
Hey Gizz thanks for the advice. I ordered a scout from holewall for $269. I mainly want it for bowhunting and I like the size of it. I will test it out when I get it. Am going mule deer hunting in North Dakota with the bow in sept so I will get a chance to use it. Hopefully it will also help me in rifle hunting. I did not have alot of time to research it but this site was also in helping me learn about the range finders. I hope I made the right choice. Tanks also to you too spectr17 for your help.    WISJIM

gizz

Reaction score
WISJIM - I think you'll be happy. The size is perfect, especially for bowhunting. You probably won't even know it's there. There are better one's with more features but from what I found so far this was exactly what i wanted. Let me know how you make out with holewall.com - i've never ordered from them and am curious as to the service/speed. They've got some good pricing.

fuman

Reaction score
Also deciding whether to get the yardage pro scout or sport. Anyone use the sport for bowhunting/rifle? I found the pro scout on sale at http://www.natchezss.com for 249.00

gizz

Reaction score
fuman, that's a great price!
Natchezss it a pretty good outfit with good pricing.
So far my new scout is working great.
The leica's seem a little clearer but I opted for the small size and weight of the scout. Sorry, can't help you with the sport.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
fuman,
I just bought the Sport and like it alot!  I have not owned any others, but have a friend who has the older original yardage pro 400 and can only compare it to it.  It's small and very light with easy to use one button operation.  For the price, I think it was a good deal.

Julio

Reaction score
    Are there any rangefinders that work on flying birds(i.e. waterfowl)?

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Sure, you just have to hit the bird with the laser for a moment. I ranged them with the bushnell 400yard finder

RanchRoper

Reaction score
I have a yardage pro 400 and it works very well for me.  I use it all the time in the field or at the range.  It is very accurate.  I was thinking about getting a scout but the only big difference is the size.  I think I will stick with what I have.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
I bought a Scout and used it this last weekend while scouting.  I really like it.  It is the right size  and the case clips on a belt loop and at the range (fish cyn).  I highly recommend this unit if you are looking for size and performance.

Top Bottom