rattlel snake scare

hunter

Reaction score
first time comming face to face with a snake scared me to death live and let live and learn from your mistakes.

Fubar

Reaction score
Hunter I know a lot of people say live and let live but i kill every rattler I see. I guess I am paranoid but I cant get over the feeling if I let it go it will bite me or someone else later. My friend used to let em go too til one killed his dog.           Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 7:55 pm on July 16, 2001)

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
I'm with Fubar.  I know I should live and let live, but I figure that I'm only going to run into a particular rattlesnake once if I kill it.  

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
killing seems to be everyones reaction when coming in contact with a rattler. I do suppport wildlife management, but with to much killing, regulations get tougher and when land gets taken away from the public to protect something such as a gopher tortoise, spotted owl, or someday a rattlesnake we all suffer. Just be sure you know your species befor you kill/collect.

hunter

Reaction score
hay guys thanks for the advice, under the surcomstances of me and the snake meatting like we did, im just lucky to still be hear and not in the hospital or worse ya know.
good hunting.

sorry if my spelling stinks.

(Edited by hunter at 8:56 pm on July 16, 2001)

younghunter

Reaction score
I run into quite a few rattlesnakes arrowhead hunting.  At first I would kill everyone I saw, and collected about 25 rattles in one year.  Then I decided to just leave them alone.  Next time I will "shoot" one with my camera.

prohunter

Reaction score
if they are around the house or any of our ranches they are shot! if i see them in the wild i leave them alone. been bit in the boot and i have little kids around. it just not worth it. people first.

songdog

Reaction score
This summer's count is 13 so far.  Those are pretty much all within 100 yards or so of the house.  It's tough to be too careful with three kids under five years old.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
When in the field unless I feel threatened by the snake I won't kill it.  If I kill it, I will skin it, cook it and eat it.  I agree though if you live in an area where there are snakes, kill everyone you see. Just dont waste them though.

MNHNTR

Reaction score
Saw a nice rattler on 3N16 on Saturday.  It was a very dark, almost black color.  It had about 8 rattles on it.  I've never seen one with such dark coloring.

Onefoot

Reaction score
I live in a desert region. southeastern Arizona.

I have seen a stepped on allot of rattlers.

My advantage is I have an artificial left leg.

When I still step on them I jump.Even with the peg leg.

I will kill, skin and eat all the snakes I kill.

What I really hate is the scorpions.

They make no noise and sting really bad.

feelinducky

Reaction score
I saw one a few years back outside of fresno up in the hills.  It was the biggest rattler I've ever seen.  I guess it was about 6' long just crossing the road.  I decided not to run it over, didn't want Bad Rattlesnake Karma.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I'm with Fubar, I'll shoot every deadly snake I see.  I take my kids Hunting and I sure don't want them to get bit or anyone else. We shot 2 on the dove opner last yr. I get about 2 or 3 a yr.:skeered::skeered:

p.s. As wildlifedesigner put it, know what kind of snake you are shooting there are harmless snakes out there.

(Edited by Thonzberry at 1:32 pm on Oct. 31, 2001)

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Slim gets a pretty wide berth from me. Last year I was hunting around some springs near Stoddard Valley and I was up on a hillside and I heard Slim give the roll call. I stopped immediately to locate him. I looked up the hill and could see him coiled under a pile of rocks. Needless to say I turned around and headed downhill, quick. My work takes me out into the brush quite often and if i find them there, ba-bye, but out in the field hunting I am their guest.

nobuckkev

Reaction score
I agree with ol' onefoot above. I hate scorpions even worse than snakes. I have run into rattlers in Utah, California and Arizona. They usually don't bother you if you make enough noise walking through the deserts. I have only seen them when out rabbit hunting through the desert so I walk loud to spook up rabbits. I bowhunt for deer and have never spooked one up to date. I don't really worry about them because they won't kill you anyhow. You have plenty of time after a bite to get to a hospital. Unless you are one of those people who are allergic to bee stings and such. The one things the doctors do say these days is "Do not cut into the bite with a knife and try to suck the blood out". They say that people are causing more damage to themselves by doing this and it is not really necessary. Just a thought for all you scared-D-cats. I would like to try eating one some day. I heard it is pretty good.

Top Bottom