Rattler Bite!!

underone

Reaction score
I spent the weekend looking after my dog after a nasty rattler bite. It happened in my backyard while I was playing with my 3yo daughter and my dogs. It was a monster snake with 12 full buttons. I was at the vet in less than 15 minutes and apparently it made the difference. Zane is doing well this afternoon and will recover 100%. I immediately called my buddy who was visiting his two new english pointers at school and told him to get them in snake avoidance school.

It has been a bad, and expensive, experience to say the least. PROTECT YOUR DOGS AND GET THEM IN SNAKE AVOIDANCE CLASS.

LeeChul

Reaction score
That's terrible, at least your dog is going to be ok. I agree that it's a good idea to get your dogs in that class, especially if they are going to be bird/varmit dogs running through the brush.

BTW: Did you eat the snake?

underone

Reaction score
No we didn't have the opportunity to eat the snake. It was coiled tight when my partner hit it with the #6 shell. Made a real mess of the thing.

BDB

Reaction score
Glad your dog is going to be OK. Thanks for the reminder on the avoidance school, I really need to do that.

superduty

Reaction score
underone, sorry to hear about the dog. The avoidance class is always a good idea for you and your dog. Luckily it wasn't your daughter or you. In the avoidance class they teach you also how to read your dog basically giving you the knowledge of the snakes presents. They say you should do it once a year but I always did it every other year. Glad to hear your dog is doing well.

underone

Reaction score
Superduty:

Ironic you mention that they teach you to read your dog. The only way I knew my dog was biot was his behavior. He didn't yelp or anything. The funny thing was that the snake was rattling and it was so loud I thought it was the sprinklers on a hill behind our house going on. I have never heard a snake make that much noise before.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Glad to see the snake got his. I can't believe that Mojave Greens are a protected specie. As far as I'm concerned, the only good rattlesnake is a dead rattlesnake, regardless of color, specie, or ?
Thank goodness the snake didn't harm you or your family. I use to work next to Miramar, the back lot fence abutted the base, and snakes would come on to the property and into the building rather frequently, there were warning signs at each entrance to the property. I worked there briefly, but within eight months, there were four snake incidents I saw.
I believe your dog will now know what a rattler is, and avoid them at all cost now!
Sorry for the hard lesson the dog had to learn.

deadducks

Reaction score
Glad to hear your dog is fine. Like the others said, it's a good thing it wasn't your kids or you.

I am taking my dog through one of them classes this year.

I also read that there is a new vacine out that "UP'S" your dogs immune system agains't snake bites. The cost is like $30-40.

Bad thing is I can't remember where I read it. I fsomeone knows please post the phone number or name of vacine.

bzzboyz

Reaction score
Glad the dog's gonna be OK.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
PROTECT YOUR DOGS AND GET THEM IN SNAKE AVOIDANCE CLASS.[/b]

I was planning on taking my Lab to one on Sunday. Now I'm for sure not gonna miss it.

pbrdog

Reaction score
Does anyone have a schedule of the classes in the San Diego area? I saw it a few months ago on here, but can't find it now. Thanks.

Huntndogs

Reaction score
PbrDog, Call Tracy Jensen at High On Kennels....Her number is (760) 782-0728. Best time to catch her is weekdays in the early evening. Otherwise she is at the Kennels or in the field. She is in Santa Ysabel and has been doing the snake break classes just about every weekend. I have been going there just about every Saturday preping for a NAVHDA test in Sept. and sometimes help with the snake avoidance. I think it was $50.00 per dog and live rattlers are used.

pbrdog

Reaction score
Thanks Huntindogs. I'll give her a call.

ghrousseau

Reaction score
On a Side Note:

I ran into a rather large Southern Pacific Rattlesnake this past Saturday up at Piru Creek off of the Templin Hwy. My buddy and I were taking a rest and he noticed the snake coming out of a fallen treen heading straight for my legs. I would have never seen the snake and could have stepped on him. This was about 1:00pm in a shady area by the stream.

Keep those eyes open!!!

Huntndogs

Reaction score
Pbr, let me know if you go up there and I'll try to meet ya there....

pbrdog

Reaction score
Will do Huntndogs. I'll try to give her a call this evening.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I am sorry that your dog got bitten, but glad to hear he is okay. I personally LOVE to go round up rattlesnakes. Used to do it quite a bit in Florida.
Anyone in Orange County know where I can go to find me a good rattler spot?

pbrdog

Reaction score
Huntindogs,
Talked to Tracy tonight. Said there probably won't be a class til next weekend. Will send me all the info. Looking forward to it.
Joel

underone

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-eye@Aug 4 2004, 07:16 PM
I personally LOVE to go round up rattlesnakes. Anyone in Orange County know where I can go to find me a good rattler spot?
What exactly is involved in rounding up rattlesnakes? I take it a round up does not involve a shotgun.

pbrdog

Reaction score
One of the funnier things I saw was on TV a few years back at the Rattlesnake roundup in Texas, I believe, this guy is using a CO2 bottle with a 6 ft horn. Turns them snakes instant dormant when ya cool em down to about 30 degrees real quick like. LOL

BDOG

Reaction score
underone! Was it a mojave green that bit your dog? Glad he is OK.

Top Bottom