Rattling

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Okay, I've tried the bleat cans and grunts on the gray ghost here in Oregon and they do work. Now I've never had a buck run in to my rattling but they show up like an hour later after I've stopped. Don't know for sure if they were interested or if I was just in the right spot at the right time.:confused: My buddies says it does but I've never seen them use it. I'm just still on the skeptical side of it I guess. Planning on trying it again this year during late archery.

Just wandering if anyone here has tried it either in OR or CA?

DAYSTALKER

Reaction score
Yes, it works!!! I've called plenty of bucks in with rattling, i personally thinks it works better than any of my calls put together!

Orygun

Reaction score
They do come in. Seems to work better with higher concentrations of bucks at least in Alsea unit.

It works great and then it doesn't. The bucks in my neighborhood get it all settled pretty quick and don't seem keen on fighting once they are done. We don't have a lot of bucks to begin with.

I've tried it on bucks tending does in heat and they just stare at you.

Last year I spotted a bruiser of a buck in a clearcut. I tried rattling him up and at 500 yds he got up, stretched, took a wizz, and walked away into the timber.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Any recommendations as to rattle bags or straight up horns? I've personally used both and like the sound of horns more but hate to carry that thing around the woods. I just can't get any good sequence out of the rattle bags.

So me having bucks run in an hour after I've stopped rattling is probably just an coincidence huh? I've always thought to myself that I was making a pretty good sound of a fight or something.

chrisk

Reaction score
Me, my dad, and my son have all had good luck rattling for bucks. For some reason not that many people do it here in CA., but it does work. My son had two pop their heads up out of the brush 150 yeards away that he would have never known were there and a third came charging in behind him within 30 yards. Two were 3x3's and one was a 4x4. We've also had several other incidents where we rattled them as well.

Regarding your question as to whether you were actually rattling those ones in or if you happen to be in the right spot at the right time, I will say that they can hear the rattling from a distance and would not be surprised if it had just taken them a while to get to where they heard you rattling from.

Lastly, we have used the rattle bags and the real thing and have had substantially better luck with using real anlters. Don't know why, but I don't think we have even gotten the attention of a buck using the rattle bags.

Hope that helps.

gozarca2

Reaction score
rattling

I tried last year but i think it was a bit early. I think the time when you do it really matters. I would also think the ratio of bucks to does. If a buck has never even clashed with one himself or seen it, it would probably get confused as to what the sound was.

biseger

Reaction score
What time of the year are you guys having success? I tried a few weeks after rifle opener last year with no response.

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
most of the general seasons in cali just barely catch the begining of the rut. It changes year to year with the dates but the weather can also be a factor. The only buck i've killed over rattling horns was on the last weekend of the d3-5 rifle season. he came running in looking for a fight, we also had some doe in heat scent on a bush 75 yards in front of us. I dont know if the scent helped but i've tried it sevral times since then with no luck. Timing is everything! I made a trip to oregon sevral years ago for the late season hunt and it was a lot of fun. we saw bucks nearly everyday, we didnt harvest anything but we forgot to bring the horns and a few people we talked to were having sucsess rattling.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
A lot of rifle elk hunters here in OR usually see them clashing during the first and second week of Nov. I've had my luck usually around Thanksgiving but like I said in the earlier posts, I'm just not sure if they're coming in to my rattles or if it's just an coincidence.

crodog

Reaction score
A-Zone
I start to rattle at the end of August through the end of the season. (Sept)

I get bucks every year rattle'n. Primos sells a rattle bag it's easy to use and it dosen't cost much.
Don't forget to grunt....:archer green:

Trust me it works.
Good luck to ya;
Cro.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm definately gonna give it a try again this year. Just took out the horns the other day and dusted it off. Can't seem to find my rattle bag anywhere though. Good luck to you to Cro, if you haven't got one already.

FRISCOHNTR

Reaction score
No quite rattling..but I scraped this one in..Here's the story 2 years ago

With the weatherman calling for rain on Weds. night and/or Thursday morning I decided I was feeling sick (sick of working and not hunting) . I then called my buddy Dave (SFHOGWILD) and said I have to go to the ranch and hunt. His reply?; "Why wouldn't Ya." "I'm coming too, maybe I'll run into a hog or two".

We headed up to the ranch late Weds. (the club we belong to is small-about 1000 acres of steep country due west of Lake Sonoma) after my abbreviated (cough cough cough) swing shift, and settled into the trailer for some cold beers and a few Muley Crazy hunting videos. Morning came quick and it found us watching the hillsides around the cabin for any movement. I could see another Club member walking a jeep trail below the cabin (800+yards) at daybreak and watched as he walked within 50 yards of two bucks, we jumped up and down and yelled and screamed but to no avail he walked right by the two bucks (one BIG 3x3 and a nice 2x2) and the three does they were courting. Not knowing his agenda for his hike and knowing he beat us to a morning bedding area we dropped off the ridge behind the trailer and started to spot and stalk.

We snuck up on a real nice fork horn about 18" wide with deep forks but passed after Dave and I discussed it. (the club has instituted a 3 points or better rule or big forks 18+ to better keep the numbers of bucks up). Then the light rain started.

After passing that buck we hiked for another half mile or so, felt like 2 miles with all the up and down back and forth in that steep ridge country only seeing four other does. I found a nice 3x shed and attached it to my pack to nail up on the tree near my trailer. As we walked around the ridge into a bowl we would stop and glass every 25 steps or so.

On one of the stops about 2 hrs into the hunt we started to talk about the signs of rut and pre rut we had seen; urine scrapes and rubs. Dave suggested that we should try to call in a buck using the shed I found . I fugured, "what the heck works on video". We found a medium sized manzanita bush and began to rake the the bush and the ground around it vigorously. I worked that bush for 2-3 minutes and scraped the ground for another 45 seconds or so. HUH? SEE THAT!!!

I buck picked his head up from a poison oak patch 200 yards away and quickly disappeared into a thick stand of buck-brush. Neither Dave or I saw how big he was but we both knew he was definetly BIG. We crept around the ridge and found another manzanita bush and I repeated the same scraping/rubbing on a small pine. This time there was no doubt as the buck's curiousity got the best of him and he stepped out from behind some tan oaks. He then saw us and took off running sidehill. I took aim, led him by about a foot and a half; and at about 160 yards the rifle cracked and he was down.

He's my best blacktail and has lot's of character, and he is the first to garner himself a wall mount. Here's a picture and good luck to all, hope you enjoyed the story. DAVE THANKS COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU, (CALLIN' IN BLACKTAILS? WHO'D A THUNK IT????)

Jason
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
</FIELDSET>

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Congrats and thanks for sharing Friscohntr. That is a really nice buck. Better yet, you got him by scraping and creating a scene. Dude, dats awesome.

crodog

Reaction score
That's a heck of a Blacktail...Congrats!:smiley_green_with_e

Cro.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom