rca vhs video camcorder

wfontjr

Reaction score
a friend gave me an old rca vhs camcorder, the play feature has a picture, but there is no picture when recording or justing viewing, any ideas on fixing, how complicated to fix or cost of such a repair

gizz

Reaction score
I took a Panasonic Palmcorder to (VHS-C) to a repair shop and had it repaired for a flat fee of $75. It had squiggly lines during playback. I believe the tracking was off and they had to adjust it. They also said they gave it a thorough cleaning and based on the movies it now takes It must've needed it.

wfontjr

Reaction score
thanks,  i will drop by one tomorrow and get an estimate, maybe same deal

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'm unclear on your symptom, it will play a tape ok but when an antenna is connected there is no pix on the TV when it's on channel 3, is that what you mean?

If so, it may be a broken solder joint where the Antenna Cable gets connected but these little silver boxes are hard to repair and new ones are usually expensive.  If a repair shop fixes it, I think it won't be worth it, not when Wally-World sells a 4-head stereo VCR for $50 (which is why I sold my TV repair shop, throw-a-way TV's, etc)

Most repair shops have a Bench Charge too, whether you have them fix it or not.....They'll spend a lot of time on it just to make an educated quess.

You probably won't hurt it by ripping into it your self, wiggle the connections around and if it goes off and on, look for a bad solder joint

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
Tinhorn - By your reply it sounds like you may not have seen that it is a camcorder. If Wally World starts selling Camcorders for $50 I'm all over em!:smile-blue

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi wfontjr,
That is exactly what happened to an old camcorder that I have.  The problem on my cam was an item called an "integrated circuit protector" (a fancy name for a fuse)
This thing didn't look anything like a fuse - it was a small black plastic rectangle labelled "ICP" mounted on a circuit board.  It protected the circuit that supplied power to the image sensor/processor portion of the cam.  The cam would play tapes, but it would not 'look' through the lens or record anything.
Once I replaced this 50 cent part the cam worked fine.

Archilochus

wfontjr

Reaction score
Archilochus, thanks
would you happen to remember the icp#, or how to identify it/location

i think i will tear into it over the weekend, see if i can find anything and if its easy to wire up as a deercam, maybe try repair shops next week if i have to

tinhorn, its seldom i see you do a whoops, lol

(Edited by wfontjr at 2:46 pm on Jan. 17, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi wfontjr,
The part that went bad in my videocam was marked with "F4" and on the circuit board was labeled "ICP101"  It's about 1/4"L x 1/8"W x 1/8"H and has 2 leads.  It was in series with the main power supply to the image sensor portion of the cam.
I traced the fault to this part by using my meter to check for power at various points - and that part is where the power stopped.  I removed the board and dragged it down to the not-so-local TV repair place and the guy knew what the part was and had a replacement in stock.

He told me the "F4" stands for 'F'use - '4'00mA - sounds good to me.

The cam is an old Panasonic - so part labeling and location on the board will most likely be different.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom